Question Graphic cards artifacts

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
Hello! I have bought a few weeks ago a 9600 GT that the seller said was working. It was not. I tried repairing it, some micro-capacitors were missing, got them from another gpu that had bad memory and was older and it worked, kinda, it has these weird lines on the screen and when it boots, it artifacts like like crazy.
Setup:
CPU: I3-3220
Ram: 8 Gb DDR 3 1600Mhz

it is some prebuild from HP, I think it is the hp compaq pro 6300 microtower.

Please tell me how to fix it or how to diagnose what is happening bc I need this card in working condition for another PC.
link to how it looks on screen: View: https://imgur.com/a/fbxcruJ

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
Unless someone here is a Louis Rossman, we can't really help here because there could be any number of things that are wrong. It could be you used capacitors of an incorrect spec, maybe one of the memory chips is bad, maybe the GPU has some issues.
Thanks! I will try and change the capacitor with a different one and see! If it is the same issue, should I put it in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes? Heard that it works sometimes as a temporary fix.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks! I will try and change the capacitor with a different one and see! If it is the same issue, should I put it in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes? Heard that it works sometimes as a temporary fix.

What good is a temporary fix? Even in the rare chance it works, you'll quickly be right back to where you started. In any case, it looks like a VRAM issue and you'll be hard-pressed to do anything worthwhile about that.

What is the purpose of this GPU? If you just need it to run a display, you're better off with a cheap $20-$30 used GPU like a 710 rather than something from 15 years ago.

Reactions: KyaraM

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
What good is a temporary fix? Even in the rare chance it works, you'll quickly be right back to where you started. In any case, it looks like a VRAM issue and you'll be hard-pressed to do anything worthwhile about that.

What is the purpose of this GPU? If you just need it to run a display, you're better off with a cheap $20-$30 used GPU like a 710 rather than something from 15 years ago.
I wanted to use this GPU for an older build, with a core 2 duo but I was testing it on the specified PC.
Another issue is that windows doesn't want to use the GPU drivers because it says it reported errors and windows stopped using it. Code 43 i think. I will just abandon this GPU as I don't have the equipment to reball the GPU processor/VRAM or replace the VRAM. Thanks for the help anyways.

Mar 12, 2023
I have an notebook with exact same problem.
That notebook have an Geforce Go 6800. Only happen artifacts if installing the video driver and when trying install Linux crash the installation.
That's problem in gpu processor bga or gpu memory area damaged.
Solution ? Try use the computer with that GPU not installing any video drivers. The OS will use the video card BIOS to output video , but the screen will be rendered using CPU.
Thus I had changed to Linux Ubuntu because was possible use that old notebook to access internet and even was possible watch youtube with good performance not being possible the same result if using windows.
If you use an dual core will have an good 2D software cpu acceleration enough to run some basic softwares.