Graphic Cards Compatible With This Motherboard?

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014
Hello

Specs:
swAclId.png

Power supply - 300 watts

So would any PCI-e x16 300 watt graphics card be compatible with this machine? Ancient I know lol

I know the power supply is actually a little weak for this card but it has worked fine as I guess I am not drawing too much power anyway with my devices.

Maybe any good recommendations to give me a good idea of what kind of card to get for this intel D945GTP motherboard? PCI-e version is 1.0/1.1 I think but 2.0's are backwards compatible anyway aren't they and would be fine?

Please ask if any additional information is needed, thank you. :)

Solution
At that low resolution, the GT 610 will be a better preforming card. But try to fine one with DDR5 rather than DDR3. It will make a difference.

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
In my experience those "300W" generic units that come with the machine don't like to be pushed very hard. Do yourself a favor and spend $40-50 on a good name-brand unit. You can get a ~450W unit from Seasonic, Antec, Rosewill, EVGA, Cooler Master, etc. Avoid any units under $25 and anything from Logisys. That will open you up to more graphics card options.

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014

So just for reference, would something like the GeForce GT 610 1GB DDR3 work? This: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/evga-com-evga-geforce-gt-610-1gb-ddr3-pci-e-video-card-01g-p3-2616-kr-01g-p3-2616-kr/10216209.aspx?path=c7d3f557aa7de711c25d70a3afe1825aen02

I will definitely be looking into upgrading my power supply as well thanks for the input guys.

Oh and I know I can probably get much better than what I'm using for reference/looking at.. lol I'll be doing more research, just seeing what will work with my budget and all + as I said I will look into a better PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, it will work fine. Not very powerful for gaming, but it will work. What resolution is your monitor?

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014

It's in my specs, or 1280x1024@60Hz is just what I use anyway. Yeah I know. I mostly play fairly older games anyway and I'll look into buying/putting together a whole new pc eventually if I really want to go further with gaming aha. Just working with what I have for now and my current budget.

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Al right thanks a lot for your help and everyone else :)

One last question I guess. How urgent would the need for a new above-300w PSU be? Like you said not any 300w card will work, for very long? I kind of doubt I'll be even using the card to its fullest potential anyway (as I said I play somewhat older games anyway that even my current card handles fine) but so how long would it actually last with that PSU? I'll be upgrading it anyway but maybe not right away.

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I mean, a GT 610 isn't a power hog by any means. But, your power supply is already getting on in the years, and in my experience, you get what you pay for in terms of power supplies. Those OEM power supplies are worth $10-15 retail. I just don't like to put a nice new graphics card in the hands of an aging $10 part.

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Right now I can only get one of them, and I'm getting a card first then soon I'll get a new PSU. Then hell maybe another better card lol Long as everything holds up fine for now. I just want a card for right now, and hopefully shortly a new better PSU, among other things later.

anonym31

Reputable
May 20, 2014
I'm starting to learn more and more just from this and a bit of research of my own on all this. What I can get, and I understand the stuff with PSU's. Cheap OEM kinds and alike, and they just become worst/don't put out as much over time that they've been put through. Basically just want a card that's compatible with my machine and will hold up with the PSU for awhile. Long as everything don't go 'poof' so that's why I'm making sure the card can be fine at least for a little while with it haha

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

With the GT 610? The PSU will last as long as it would w/o a gfx card. The GT 610 is only a 29W card:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications

You've got no worries as long as you stay with a tiny performer like that.

TRENDING THREADS