graphic cards for 2.0 x16

Jul 19, 2018
i need help to buy a new gpu,idk what i need for my pc that has a motherboard with 2.0 x16 right now i have an intel pentium G3260 and a gt 730 and i want to upgrade my gpu to a faster and better one and i need some help :(

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can use any new gpu on that motherboard. the pcie slots are backwards and forwards compatible. so a new pcie 3,0 card will run fine on a 2.0 slot. there won't even be any performance slow down due to the older slot. plenty of speed for any modern gpu. especially one you'd pair with a pentium cpu.

you looking for help picking a gpu to go with it or just wondering what would work with your mobo? we can also help with choice if you give us some basic info like budget, and more important is the power supply you have. need to be sure what you have can power what you want to buy. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is a labell on the psu like this. won't be exact but similar to this.

iur

there is a line for "model number" you can post here or simply take a photo of the label and post it here. either way i can then gether the specs on the psu and see what it can handle. a simple power rating is meaningless since many junk models exist that don't actually give the power they claim or in the right way.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok so that psu is very low powered. it has 156w on the 12v rail. this is where all the power parts pull from power from. your cpu is already using about 50w of that.

a gtx 1030 or an RX 450 is about as good as you can go on that psu. though they will need to be reference designs that do not need any extra power from the psu. you really should replace that psu with a quality unit at the same time. that psu is low quality and may not even provide the small amount of power it claims as it is.

not sure of your budget but a quality psu is strongly recommended for you. some good rebates out right now giving some good final prices on some good budget options on newegg.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here are 4 great options

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,fZyFf7,Tc3RsY,FdRFf7/

the seasonic units are the better ones with the 620w EVO being the best of them. but any of these will easily run your current cpu with any gpu out there and will handle a better cpu down the road as well if you decide to upgrade that later.

this is of course assuming you are in the US. :) otherwise will have to look at local shops in your area.