Graphic Cards for 4k Movies and Streaming

Apr 5, 2018
Good morning. I would like to build a PC mainly for both streaming and watching 4k movies, very light photoshop and video editing via 4k monitor/tv. NO GAMING. I will be using the 8th Generation i7 with 32gb of ram, 512 ssd with 2tb hdd. I will also have a blu ray player and ripper installed. Please advise the best video card out there that will support flawlessly via latest hdmi specs on both watching and streaming 4k resolution movies via Netflix, Youtube, etc. Budget overall is $1,200. Will definitely push the budget more if a must. Your assistance will greatly appreciated.

Solution

Yeah honestly nothing you are doing would be particularly heavy load on a GPU. The build in iGPU is actually pretty decent for video encoding/decoding, just not great for games or rendering.

Bear in mind that the iGPU can only output 4k 60hz via displayport, if you use the hdmi on board then it will be @24hz. This can be solved with a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter though. Otherwise you might want to consider a nvidia GT 1030 which has HDMI 2.0 so can do 4k @60hz.

16gb would honestly be more than enough, even 8gb is enough for 90% of people.

You could always see how you get on with the iGPU and if you find you...
Apr 5, 2018

Wow, really? So I can decrease the 32gb to 16gb and what is my best option on a video card just in case the integrated gpu on the i7 is not enough muscle for what I need?

A basic i3 machine can easily do what you want. 32gb of ram is way overkill if it's just touching up a foto now and then and adding some video clips togheter you can easily run this on an i3 8100 + 8gb of ram or if you want some more grahical power a ryzen 5 2400g.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah honestly nothing you are doing would be particularly heavy load on a GPU. The build in iGPU is actually pretty decent for video encoding/decoding, just not great for games or rendering.

Bear in mind that the iGPU can only output 4k 60hz via displayport, if you use the hdmi on board then it will be @24hz. This can be solved with a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter though. Otherwise you might want to consider a nvidia GT 1030 which has HDMI 2.0 so can do 4k @60hz.

16gb would honestly be more than enough, even 8gb is enough for 90% of people.

You could always see how you get on with the iGPU and if you find you need to do something that is accelerated with CUDA or OpenCL, you can grab a low-mid range GPU to offload to like a GT 1030.

Solution