Graphic Design / Web Development Computer Build (From Scratch)

dylarcher

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Hey all, I'm here today to seek out some information, from those that know more than I, on a personal build for a work machine. My ASUS U36j (laptop) just isn't cutting the mustard anymore, sadly. I need a desktop for my new work position. It's been a very long time since I looked into hardware and with so many options I fear I'll end up going overboard and spending more than I really need or worse, get something that isn't up to snuff. Any help and or advice is welcome and thanks in advance. The details are below!

Approximate Purchase Date: Within two to three weeks.

Budget Range: 800 - 1200 (can go higher but purchase date will be pushed off)

System Usage: Heavy use of Adobe Cloud, local server database setup, web design & development. This is not a gaming rig, this just needs to be able to support large print and web graphic creation, run multiple instances of visual studios and various other applications, and store a reasonable amount of database/web files.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Tigerdirect.com, amazon.com, newegg.com

Parts Preferences: No brand preference, looking for two ultra-wide screen monitors as well as the tower build (from scratch, tower/case needed too). I'm going to require a rather high amount of good quality RAM and probably both SSD & HDD for this setup.

Overclocking: Maybe, probably not.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: prefer 2560x1080, flexible on this though

Additional Comments: I'm very familiar with the software end of computers, where I fall short is hardware it's been years since I looked into all the new toys. The system just needs to be able to keep up with daily 8-14 hour run times and stay cool under strain (e.g. lots of programs soaking up cpu and ram alike), I use cloud storage as backups so hard drive space is less important.

Solution
Although I would grab more $$$ for some dual processor fun for Adobe CC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: AMD FirePro W5100 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+...
Although I would grab more $$$ for some dual processor fun for Adobe CC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: AMD FirePro W5100 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $984.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-05 16:34 EST-0500

Solution

dylarcher

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

Is there a reason you went with the Xeon over an i7? I'm just curious, I'm not too familiar with the pros/cons of either other then the ability to overclock the i7.

dylarcher

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

Well the MIR only equates to around $30 on this particular build. Money isn't a huge deal so long as there is a little left over for some solid ultra-wide monitors. The max I'd pay on a workstation at this time is probably $2000 and due to the need for two monitors that leaves only about $800-$1200 for the tower.

Do you have any advice on an alternate build that would meet my specifications better?