graphic error during boot

Chaintech SKT600
Radeon 9200

I just upgraded my old socket A from a duron 800 pc133 to a chintech
DDR400 Athlon 2000+

During the boot the graphics blink with blocks everywhere. Basicly it
show that the card is not working with the new MB.

The 9200 did work in the old computer

The graphics settle down when bios is done and XP loads.
I can't see Bios setup because of the conflict.

I have searched here and other places for similar things but didn't
guess the right search terms. One place suggested the BIOS needs a AGP
driver. The MOBO disk did have one and I installed it without change -
if that really installs to BIOS.

What should I do next?

Dan

jad

memory error maybe. faulty ram or its inserted incorrectly

"Dan_Flory" <danflory@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chaintech SKT600
> Radeon 9200
>
> I just upgraded my old socket A from a duron 800 pc133 to a chintech
> DDR400 Athlon 2000+
>
> During the boot the graphics blink with blocks everywhere. Basicly it
> show that the card is not working with the new MB.
>
> The 9200 did work in the old computer
>
> The graphics settle down when bios is done and XP loads.
> I can't see Bios setup because of the conflict.
>
> I have searched here and other places for similar things but didn't
> guess the right search terms. One place suggested the BIOS needs a AGP
> driver. The MOBO disk did have one and I installed it without change -
> if that really installs to BIOS.
>
> What should I do next?
>
> Dan

Ram does test OK.
Once XP boots I can do O.K.

jad

try resetting the cmos using the jumper on the mainboard

> Ram does test OK.
> Once XP boots I can do O.K.

This sounded like An idea worth trying - eventhough the MB was new
without any changes to BIOS.
I looked up the instructions in the manual and on boot under the
conflicting colors I could read

"Cmos checksum error defaults loaded"

The appearance during boot is the same.

Any more ideas?.

In article <1116907956.571249.108250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Dan_Flory says...
> This sounded like An idea worth trying - eventhough the MB was new
> without any changes to BIOS.
> I looked up the instructions in the manual and on boot under the
> conflicting colors I could read
>
> "Cmos checksum error defaults loaded"
>
> The appearance during boot is the same.
>
> Any more ideas?.

Check the Clear CMOS jumper isn't set to clear. Many are shipped like
that to preserve the backup battery.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

So we know a couple of things that the problem is now. Any more Ideas?
I sent an email to chaintech support. I'll report on what they say.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <1116907956.571249.108250@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Dan_Flory says...
> > This sounded like An idea worth trying - eventhough the MB was new
> > without any changes to BIOS.
> > I looked up the instructions in the manual and on boot under the
> > conflicting colors I could read
> >
> > "Cmos checksum error defaults loaded"
> >
> > The appearance during boot is the same.
> >
> > Any more ideas?.
> >

> Check the Clear CMOS jumper isn't set to clear. Many are shipped like
> that to preserve the backup battery.
>
> --
> Conor

If the CMOS jumper was set to clear,the computer wouldn't boot at all.