Question Graphic glitches showing up in various games recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
  • Operating system : Windows 11 (but I have rolled back to 10 and that didn't fix it)
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 no overclock (~2 years old)
  • GPU : AMD RX 6700XT (5 months old)
  • Motherboard : MSI B450M Gaming Plus with both the most recent and the most recent non-beta BIOS version (~2 years old)
  • RAM : 2x8GB HyperX HX432C16PB3K2 Predator with XMP to 3200MHz (~2 years old)
  • PSU : Seasonic SSR-650RM Active PFC G-650 650W (~6 years old)
  • Monitor : MSI Optix MAG271CQR with included DP cable (+ another one I had lying around). Also tried my HP 22k monitor to no avail.

View: https://imgur.com/a/AlH1dzG

This video kinda shows what's going on lately. Graphical glitches in games, especially when there's a lot of stuff going on. Checked it out in League of Legends as well as FFXIV. I went back to different driver versions, went back to Win10 but it occurs regardless of driver/windows version. It also occurs regardless of which monitor I use and which cable I connect it with.

By ruling out all other options.. do I really have to RMA the card? Is there anything else I can do to figure it out if there's something else causing it? I've ran Heaven Benchmark on ultra for like 10 minutes with no stuttering, or glitches and my GPU's hotspot temp never exceeded 90°C.
CPU temps were also fine, no crashes whatsoever besides that one time during my first attempt at updating to Win11.

• Operating system : Windows 11 (but I have rolled back to 10 and that didn't fix it)
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 no overclock (~2 years old)
  • GPU : AMD RX 6700XT (5 months old)
  • Motherboard : MSI B450M Gaming Plus with both the most recent and the most recent non-beta BIOS version (~2 years old)
  • RAM : 2x8GB HyperX HX432C16PB3K2 Predator with XMP to 3200MHz (~2 years old)
  • PSU : Seasonic SSR-650RM Active PFC G-650 650W (~6 years old)
  • Monitor : MSI Optix MAG271CQR with included DP cable (+ another one I had lying around). Also tried my HP 22k monitor to no avail.
View: https://imgur.com/a/AlH1dzG

This video kinda shows what's going on lately. Graphical glitches in games, especially when there's a lot of stuff going on. Checked it out in League of Legends as well as FFXIV. I went back to different driver versions, went back to Win10 but it occurs regardless of driver/windows version. It also occurs regardless of which monitor I use and which cable I connect it with.

By ruling out all other options.. do I really have to RMA the card? Is there anything else I can do to figure it out if there's something else causing it? I've ran Heaven Benchmark on ultra for like 10 minutes with no stuttering, or glitches and my GPU's hotspot temp never exceeded 90°C.
CPU temps were also fine, no crashes whatsoever besides that one time during my first attempt at updating to Win11.
Hey there,

So, you've ruled out some things already. Good job.

Are you overclocking the GPU? If so , remove and try again. Have you swapped out cables to be sur it's not that?

You might also try update your bios to the latest one, if not already done.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Hello,

I was running a slight undervolt, but I've removed that and it made no difference. The PSU is semi-modular so I was able to use different 6/8 pin connectors respectively, but that also made no difference.
As I stated, it happened both on the most recent BETA bios that was released earlier this year, and the most recent non-BETA bios that was released mid-2021.

As another method of collecting data, I went through my steam library just now.
Horizon Zero Dawn is running perfectly fine with no glitches. So are Dark Souls 3 and The Witcher : Wild Hunt.
Loaded up FFXIV immediately after and I'm having the same weird black glitches you can see in the League vid I included in the main post.

EDIT : View: https://imgur.com/a/ZFKRQD1

This is what FFXIV looks like at times.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
I have cleared the CMOS, but issues persist.

Some time this afternoon I also ran the Furmark GPU stress test for a decent amount of time. No crashes, no artifacts, no abnormally high temps. I'm pretty confused about it all, I must say

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Me too! It doesn't add up.

I think it's best to RMA it.

I mean, it should be no issue, given that the card isn't even half a year old.. but on the other hand I don't actually -know- that it's a GPU hardware issue, so there's a chance I go through a lengthy RMA process that doesn't solve my problem.

I mean, it should be no issue, given that the card isn't even half a year old.. but on the other hand I don't actually -know- that it's a GPU hardware issue, so there's a chance I go through a lengthy RMA process that doesn't solve my problem.

I guess it's possible the PSU, after 6 years isn't providing enough power to the system. Typically that manifests itself differently than your issues. But it's possible, none the less. The 6700XT is pretty power hungry and can suck 220w at gaming load. It could be an indicator the PSU is on the way out. Whilst your PSU was solid in it's day, it might be worth checking. If you have one to swap out which is a good quality 550w at min, or else bring to a local store and get them to swap it out for £$€20 and test. I'd try that before RMA.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
I guess it's possible the PSU, after 6 years isn't providing enough power to the system. Typically that manifests itself differently than your issues. But it's possible, none the less. The 6700XT is pretty power hungry and can suck 220w at gaming load. It could be an indicator the PSU is on the way out. Whilst your PSU was solid in it's day, it might be worth checking. If you have one to swap out which is a good quality 550w at min, or else bring to a local store and get them to swap it out for £$€20 and test. I'd try that before RMA.

Put in a brand new Corsair RM750x... and I still have the same issues - though between repasting the CPU, air-dusting the entire interior and redoing the entire cable management, my temps and noise have dropped considerably.
Played about an hour of Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday and once again I can confirm that it's running great though. Just not LoL/FFXIV.

In my 6800xt and using the Radeon software I found the memory was way more sensitive with RDNA2 than the actual GPU clock speed when it comes to stability in certain games. In 2k Golf if set to the memory max clock the grass would artifact, in Mordor shadow of War and CS:GO stuttering..... in F1 2020, RDR2 nothing, all was perfect. It seems some games interact with the architechture differently and have an adverse reaction. I would not undervolt but drop the max memory speed a touch and see if it helps, it should not affect FPS in any great way. My 6800xt is WC so temps are not an issue. Worth a try !!!
By the way this is has also happened with Nvidia cards of mine in the past so it seems to be an Engine-Architechture thing.
Cheers

Last edited:
Put in a brand new Corsair RM750x... and I still have the same issues - though between repasting the CPU, air-dusting the entire interior and redoing the entire cable management, my temps and noise have dropped considerably.
Played about an hour of Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday and once again I can confirm that it's running great though. Just not LoL/FFXIV.

Damn it! It's possible it's some bug in the game engine for those titles. The fact that only those two really are problematic is leaning that way. Maybe an update will fix both issue further down the line.

Juviole

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Sadly, it is not letting me drop the memory frequency anywhere.

I've written the original vendor about my issues, who referred me to Sapphire as they allegedly are responsible for warranty questions in my country, the Sapphire RMA rep confirmed that a defective GPU is certainly possible but said that unless I can put it in a different system to test, we cannot be sure. They also said the vendor lied, because as they have sold it to me, legally they are responsible for the 2 years of warranty I have on the product. After sending this to the vendor, they have been ghosting me, which is .. not optimal.

As to the issues : FFXIV has been running mostly okay actually. Only very occasional flickering in certain areas. Horizon Zero Dawn still absolutely okay, downloaded the 3DMark demo and ran the tests for a bit - no instability, nothing.

League however got drastically worse. The mouse is lagging constantly; the game runs fluidly at 144 FPS (fluid besides the flickering) but the mouse really is not (this only happens in league). Sometimes my entire system as well as all sounds freeze up, and I've started to have my system crash when playing League.

Status
Not open for further replies.