Question Graphic Issues Every Time After PC Power Off

Nov 17, 2023
I have a 4090 connected to 3 Samsung Neo G7 43" monitors via DPs using Nvidia Surround. I also have a 4th generic brand 32" monitor connected via HDMI using the onboard graphics from i5 13600K. MB is a Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite. I have a Thermalake Gold 1000W for the PSU. System is loaded with the latest drivers and everything works really well...unless I unplug the PC after I shut down!

I can shut down and the next time I restart everything works fine, BUT if I unplug the PC after I shut down, the next time I boot up, the graphics are messed up. Nvidia surround gets disabled, the 4th monitor is not detected in Windows (although it is active during initial boot). If I do fire up a racing sim, the Nvidia video crashes after a minute or so. It takes a bunch of restarts and messing with Nvidia and display setings, swapping the 4th monitor to Nvidia and then back to Intel to get everything back to normal. Once done, I have no further issues. I can play any sim, restart a million times, all without issue. But if at any point I power off the PC, I will have the graphics issues the next time I start up.

The house is already has UPS of sorts via a Tesla Wall, and I will be getting a UPS specifically for the PC, but I would really like to find out if there is a fix for this issue, since I do occasionally have to disconnect the PC as part of maintenance to my set-up.

Last edited:
I'm shocked you aren't encountering other graphics issues than just what you are by running a GPU and integrated graphics side-by-side.

How is your PC connected currently? Directly into a wall socket? Into a surge protector?

Nov 17, 2023
I'm shocked you aren't encountering other graphics issues than just what you are by running a GPU and integrated graphics side-by-side.

How is your PC connected currently? Directly into a wall socket? Into a surge protector?
The house is on a UPS and the PC is specifically plugged into a surge protector. Aside from the issue that happens when I reboot after I have unplugged the PC, I have zero issues running both graphics together. But for the record, I get the issue after the PC power off with Nvidia graphics occurring even without the 4th monitor attached at all, or if it is attached to the Nvidia card. I have definitievly eliminated the 4th monitor as a cause.

The house is on a UPS and the PC is specifically plugged into a surge protector. Aside from the issue that happens when I reboot after I have unplugged the PC, I have zero issues running both graphics together. But for the record, I get the issue after the PC power off with Nvidia graphics occurring even without the 4th monitor attached at all, or if it is attached to the Nvidia card. I have definitievly eliminated the 4th monitor as a cause.
Have you tried uninstalling the nVidia drivers via Safe Mode using DDU and then re-installing the latest version?

This was a clean install after the previous card/drivers were removed via DDU.
Interesting. How old is your system? Have you ever replaced the CMOS battery? If not, do so and see if the issue continues.

Typically you would notice other issues alongside the CMOS aging out but it's like the video components are losing their configuration when you completely remove power from the PC which would typically indicate an issue with that battery itself.

Nov 17, 2023
Interesting. How old is your system? Have you ever replaced the CMOS battery? If not, do so and see if the issue continues.

Typically you would notice other issues alongside the CMOS aging out but it's like the video components are losing their configuration when you completely remove power from the PC which would typically indicate an issue with that battery itself.
I bought the motherboard from Newegg in August. The entire system is new. I actually just got the issue again today even though the PC remained plugged in, so I am even more confused now :(