[SOLVED] Graphical and Sound Artifacts Issue, even with replacement parts

Dec 2, 2021
Hey all,

I have been having issues with my computer having both graphical and sound artifacts for several months now. It's at its worst when I play games (graphic-wise the screen artifacts like crazy with lines and sound-wise it makes loud screeching sounds. Eventually the game may crash), but this still occurs when doing simple tasks like browsing the internet or using Discord (my friends have told me my microphone makes painful loud-pitch screeches). The issue would show up then go away on its own. One time in the past when it was at its worst, I was able to resolve it after uninstalling Dolby Access as the Spatial Sound. However, it seems to have randomly started again. I have done all possible things I can think of and cannot figure out what the cause of the issue is. Here's a link to pictures of some of the graphic artifacts:

View: https://imgur.com/a/JVD1Pve

None of my components are overclocked. I have installed all the latest Windows Updates. I have monitored the temperatures of all of my components and none of them exceed 70C (idle is usually 40-45C). This also happens when I run in safe mode, but interestingly doesn't seem to happen much when I RDP into a VM.

I have tried all of the following:
  1. Clean Install.
  2. Clean Install on a different SSD.
  3. Run using just one of my three monitors. Tried all three. Tried different cables. Tried different GPU outlets.
  4. Tried using a different SSD, RAM, Motherboard, Power supply unit, and Graphics Card (see PC Specs below).
  5. Tried using a different wall outlet.
  6. Reinstall graphics card drivers.
Applications I tried running;
  1. Prime95 to test CPU
  2. Memtest86 to test RAM
I am at a total loss as to what the issue could be. The only thing I haven't tried replacing is my CPU, which I will be trying out later this weekend using a friends'. Please let me know if anyone has any other suggestions to try and fix this.

PC Specs:
(1st one is my original setup, 2nd on is the replacement I tried)
CPU - AMD 3900X with Corsair Hydro Series H150i (3 Fan) AIO Cooler
RAM - 1. Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 2. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200
Motherboard - 1. Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra AMD 2. MSI Mag x570 TOMAHAWK Wifi Motherboard
Power Supply - 1. Super Flow Leadex III 650 W Gold 2. Seasonic FOCUS PX-850 Platinum
Graphics Card - 1. MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X TRIO 2. An old MSI 1080.
SSD - 1. Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2 2. Samsung 970 Evo M.2
Monitors - 3 x Predator XB271HU
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
Seeing the things you've tried, im wondering if it's something to do with pcie part (communication between cpu and gpu) of the cpu that's not quite right. Guess you'll know when you put another cpu in.

Maybe try second pcie slot (using motherboard chipset) and force gen3 in bios. See what happens. If there is something wrong with cpu then probably this won't do anything. Obviously im not cpu engineer so i have no idea of the inner workings, as in chipset still has to communicate with cpu but a 'long stretch maybe', forcing gen3 using second pcie slot might bypass something dodgy in the processor.

I don't see chipset drivers listed as things tried. Have you tried latest from Amd? Search your board's chipset version (x570) Amd driver in...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Seeing the things you've tried, im wondering if it's something to do with pcie part (communication between cpu and gpu) of the cpu that's not quite right. Guess you'll know when you put another cpu in.

Maybe try second pcie slot (using motherboard chipset) and force gen3 in bios. See what happens. If there is something wrong with cpu then probably this won't do anything. Obviously im not cpu engineer so i have no idea of the inner workings, as in chipset still has to communicate with cpu but a 'long stretch maybe', forcing gen3 using second pcie slot might bypass something dodgy in the processor.

I don't see chipset drivers listed as things tried. Have you tried latest from Amd? Search your board's chipset version (x570) Amd driver in google and you'll see it.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 2, 2021
Hey boju, appreciate your suggestions. I tried to install the latest chipset version (x570) as you suggested but unfortunately looks like that didn't fix it. I'll try your suggestion with the PCIe slot and also report back on if the replacement CPU fixes the issue.

Reactions: boju