[SOLVED] Graphical issues after updating the TV's firmware using a EVGA RTX 2070

adarisbo

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Hello, nice to meet everyone.

Once I found out I hadn't updated my TV's firmware since 2019, I decided to do it. Now I've been experiencing graphical bugs ever since. The TV is connected to my PC.

The problems are usually related to shadows and shades of black. It's hard to describe so I took a picture of the screen with my phone to make sure everyone sees the same thing as me.

I guess it's a common glitch, because I've seen it before in the past on other equipment. If anyone can tell me what's the name of this issue, that would be a big help in narrowing down my search.

I've already tried changing all the possible TV settings related to the image. The glitch seems to get a bit better if I make the screen darker, but that just makes the image worse overall. I've had high contrast and brightness before without having this issue.

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Example of the issue

Specs:
Videocard: EVGA RTX 2070
TV model: Samsung NU7100

Solution
hi, this feature on picture is called gamma is too high
gamma can be changed on some TVs, if its not there, see your graphic display options tu tune it there, or use windows display calibration

adarisbo

Reputable
Dec 31, 2018
Thank you. That led me to finding out what the problem was. I'll leave it out there in case it's useful to someone.

Even though my screen's native resolution is 3840x2160, I can still play games at 4096x2160 just fine. However, since my Windows is still set at 3840, and I Alt+Tab while playing the game, it causes the screen to change the "gamma type" but not revert it when I'm back in the game.

The correct "gamma type" for me was the BT-1886. When I change to the 3840 resolution, the TV switches the gamma to ST and won't allow me to change it back unless I turn the screen on and off while playing the game.

Bottom line is I should get a proper 4k TV.

Thanks again for the help.