Question Graphical issues, chrome access violations and twitch sound issues

Phantom9

Honorable
Nov 30, 2014
Hello,

So I finally got my computer built after collecting the parts over the last few months with the exception of the GPU. I decided it was time to put it all together and just slap my old R9 200 series in so I can verify that everything is at least working. I've spent maybe 10 hours or so on this machine downloading apps and games that I want to play and tested out a few. I played a game of warzone and while it looked a bit block-ish with the old GPU it ran just fine. I have been messing around with Skyrim as well since I know this GPU at the very least can handle that.

Then the other day I went to watch a friend stream on Twitch and noticed that when I went to load their page I got a crash on Chrome for status\_access\_violation. I thought it was weird but whatever I reloaded the page and it loaded just fine. But I noticed that my friend's audio was a little off, like the audio was peaking when they would talk(sounds like a loud squeak.) I thought maybe this was an issue with my new speaker(connected via back of PC and tried audio jack on the case) since my new screen doesn't have a built-in speakers but the audio distortion would also happen if I played the audio through my secondary monitor's speaker. While looking this up online I noticed I was getting a LOT of status\_access\_violation errors on chrome and now it was starting to crash and close as I was starting to type in the search bar. During this whole fiasco I noticed that I was getting some pixilated images when on Steam and on chrome(when it would load). 1. 2. 3. I then downloaded the twitch app to see if that worked any better but I was still having issues. So I turned off low latency mode on the twitch app after reading a suggestion online and twitch just crashed over and over again closing then re-opening.

I did notice it seems like the visual issue gets worse when I disable hardware acceleration but I cant be 100% that's the case since I have only been messing with it for a few hours and have made so many changes. My first thought is that it is a RAM issue since it randomly closes down programs but with the graphical errors I have been getting when browsing it makes me think its GPU related. After having swapped both of those and it's still happening, is it caused by the CPU or Motherboard? With the weird audio issues too I am starting to lean towards the MOBO.

Any insight would be useful.

Thank you!

I have tried the following so far -

Ran a memory test from windows

Using only one monitor

Reinstalled chrome

Tried using Edge

Lowering my resolution from 1440 to 1080

Checked for driver updates including GPU

SFC Scan

DISM.exe

Turning off XMP

Using only 1 stick of Ram in the B2 slot. Tried each stick same result

With hardware acceleration off I get error code: Status_breakpoint on chrome

Using a different GPU

​

My PC specs are

Ryzen 9 5900X

R9 200 series GPU

Dark hero VIII

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Lutfij

Titan
The R9 200 series is a generalized moniker. What is the exact model of the GPU you're working with? Depending on that we can understand if your GPU is drawing more power than the PSU can deliver. What BIOS version are you working with? Did you reinstall your OS on the new platform? By different GPU, please include the name of that GPU as well.

Reactions: Phantom9

Phantom9

Honorable
Nov 30, 2014
The R9 200 series is a generalized moniker. What is the exact model of the GPU you're working with? Depending on that we can understand if your GPU is drawing more power than the PSU can deliver. What BIOS version are you working with? Did you reinstall your OS on the new platform? By different GPU, please include the name of that GPU as well.

I looked at the tag on the GPU and it says R9 280
The BIOS is 3401
The other GPU that I used was a RX 550

I tried to use RAM from the same machine DIMM, 16GB, 2666, 2RX8, 8G, DDR4, NU but it kept giving me blue screen errors such as Kmode exception not handled, System thread exception not handled, and critical process died.

My thought was that I know the GPU and RAM works because it is in my work PC and they should be compatible and its not like I have many other options to swap with.

If the GPU was needing more power, then the other GPU I tried would have worked, wouldn't it? The one I popped in there doesn't even need external power and it was still having the graphical errors and chrome crashes.

I appreciate your help.