Graphics and/or moniter issue

yippie123

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Here is a question when i play a game or broswe the web my moniter goes blank and the power button goes orange glows
now I recently built a new computer
core 2duo E7300
2gb ddr2 800
2x sata 80 gb hard drives
thermaltake 430 watt psu
asus p5q se deluxe motherboard
sapphire ati 4830 video card
xp pro service pack 2
avg antivirus
I did a little research and got a number of answers like:
1 the psu
2 the video card
3 the moniter itself
My old moniter the one that has this problem works but for this issue which is random and comes from a old dell dimension 3000
and if it is the moniter what would be a good one 19-22 inch range
thanks in advance

"My old moniter the one that has this problem works but for this issue which is random and comes from a old dell dimension 3000"

OK. Your monitor comes from an old Dell Dimension 3000, and "works" except for this random problem? Do I have that right?

The orange light would normally indicate no signal is being received.

What happens next? Does it just come back on? Do you have to power off? Reboot? Anything else unusual happen?

If the PC is still "running" when the screen goes blank, the problem is likely the monitor or vid card. If its not running or frozen, the monitor is NOT the problem.

- How do you reboot the PC after a failure?

- When did you build this computer?

- Did it always have these random failures?

- Do you have any other parts available to you, ie, another vid card or psu?

yippie123

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
hold the power button

this year about march -ish

just recently about the past month-month 1/2

no I don't
the only part that not under warranty is the moniter from a dimension 3000

Since we're now forced to guess . . . if a simple reboot gets info back on the screen, the problem is not likely to be the monitor. I can only think of one other way to try to narrow the possibilities.

If you have or can download Prime95: Do a fresh boot then run a stress test without changing screen graphics. If the PC fails during this test, I'd guess its less likely to be the vid card, and more likely the psu.

Then I'd replace the psu because even if I were wrong having a second psu around is, as you can see, not bad idea.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but its a parts swap or guesswork from here for me.