krm_4230

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
My Graphics card has stopped working after a bsod error. Sometimes during boot up, the graphics card starts but when the log on screen appears, it stops functioning.

The system is working fine on intel onboard HD graphics.

1) Using "who crashed home edition 3.0" i got the below error:

On Sat 11/27/2010 10:58:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: F:\Windows\Minidump\112710-27346-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0xDD089)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000094, 0xFFFFF88004912089, 0xFFFFF88003FA6CC8, 0xFFFFF88003FA6530)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: F:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: atikmdag.sys ATI Technologies Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

2) I am also suspecting the power supply is not sufficient for the system.

Can anyone please help.

My system specs are: (6 months old)
i3 530 @ 2.9 Ghz
DH55Tc motherboard
Ati radeon 5570 1GB
Ram 2gb
1tb HDD
Dvd writer
Zebronics 450W power supply (9 months old)
5v - 38amp
12V - 15amp

That BSOD was caused by the ATI/AMD driver crashing, this is sometimes caused by a Graphics card overheating or an overclock on the grpahics card isn't stable, other times it can just be AMD doing a fantastic job with their drivers (sarcasm)

Is the graphics card overclocked at all?

What where the temps like for the graphics card under full load?

Actually looking at your PSU's stats its likely to be the cause of your problems, modern PC's really only use the +12V rail(s) on the PSU and your PSU has most of its power on the 5V....
Your PSU can only deliver a maximum of 180W on the 12V rail(s). Which isn't enough.

krm_4230

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

I had set the graphics card on its automatic settings (default) on the Catalyst Control center. I believe it meant not to overclock. Sorry don't have the temperature readings of the card. But the fan on the graphics card works although the card does not display any image.

Thanks for the information,

Can you confirm what should be my ideal 12v rail amps for the spec below?