Question Graphics Card 8 Pins to Motherboard 6 Pins?

Sep 4, 2023
I have a Gigabyte 3060 that has an 8-pin power port. I was considering using it on a computer that has a
6-pin power supply slot on the mother board. If I get a cable with 8 pins on one side and 6 on the other will it work properly or is 6 just not enough power?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

You might also want to include a link to the cables you want to work with.
Short answer; PCIe and EPS connectors are not interchangable and not all PSU's will have the same pinouts.

Sep 4, 2023
I shall list the info below
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
CPU Cooler: Whatever the default is
Motherboard: Dell 0H4VK7 A01
RAM: 24GB
HDD
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060
PSU: Dell H290AM-00 (a little under 5 years old)
Standard Dell Inspiron 3670 case
Windows 10 64
Hp Pavilion 22cwa
I opened it up to check on the power supply model and I can not log back into the computer because of repeated shut downs.

While not specific, I assume something like the below. I have never messed with a graphics card that didn't power through the slot.
Cable Matters 2-Pack 6 Pin to 8 Pin PCIe Adapter Power Cable - 4 Inches https://a.co/d/hQO33wv

I shall list the info below
CPU: Intel Core i5-8400
CPU Cooler: Whatever the default is
Motherboard: Dell 0H4VK7 A01
RAM: 24GB
HDD
Standard Dell Inspiron 3670 case
Windows 10 64
Hp Pavilion 22cwa
I opened it up to check on the power supply model and I can not log back into the computer because of repeated shut downs.

While not specific, I assume something like the below. I have never messed with a graphics card that didn't power through the slot.
Cable Matters 2-Pack 6 Pin to 8 Pin PCIe Adapter Power Cable - 4 Inches https://a.co/d/hQO33wv
I wouldn't do that. Your problems with shutdowns probably stems from PSU anyway so you better look for another one this time with standard PCIe 6+2 pin outputs.
Those power outputs from MB are usually limited to 75W which is not enough for 3060 GPU.

That is 290W PSU.
RTX 3060 minimum recommended PSU is 550W.

Your PSU in incompatible with this graphics card.
If you somehow manage to connect it using some adapters, you'll probably damage your system.
Best case screnario - system just shuts down under load.
Worst case - PSU blows up and kills gpu, motherboard.

dell-h290am-00-290w-power-supply-for-optiplex-3020-7020-9020-mt-poweredge-t20-precision-t1700-61__86678.1534980264.jpg

Sep 4, 2023
GeForce GT 1030
I have never changed a power supply. It doesn't sound that difficult (as long as you remember where everything will be plugged back into on the board) but I am wondering if it is worth the trouble... I don't have the equipment to test it and am not up for buying it. The 1030 is only 2GB of VRAM so quite small.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023
If you manage to get proper adapter (compatible with your motherboard) , then yes.
I am now seeing people say an ATX PSU will not fit in my case so that might mean I am stuck. Some really strong, negative opinions on the adapters, which so far say are not compatible with Inspiron.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It depends really as there are a lot of different Inspirons. It's been their brand for a very long time. Unfortunately, prebuilts tend to be really bad upgrade candidates, especially for people who aren't comfortable tinkering inside their PC.

It may not be exactly what you want to hear, but given your comfort level, I think you really need to consider sticking with GPUs that don't require supplementary power. A GTX 1050 Ti or a 1650 (non-Super) are giant upgrades on a GT 130, though for the former, make sure it's not one of the handful of overclocked ones that requires supplementary power.

Reactions: CountMike
Sep 4, 2023
It depends really as there are a lot of different Inspirons. It's been their brand for a very long time. Unfortunately, prebuilts tend to be really bad upgrade candidates, especially for people who aren't comfortable tinkering inside their PC.

It may not be exactly what you want to hear, but given your comfort level, I think you really need to consider sticking with GPUs that don't require supplementary power. A GTX 1050 Ti or a 1650 (non-Super) are giant upgrades on a GT 130, though for the former, make sure it's not one of the handful of overclocked ones that requires supplementary power.
I think I will just wait till it is time for a new computer. Some of what I want to do with it needs 12GB to run at a decent rate and it is cheaper in the long run if I just wait a year or two and buy something that can take such a card. I do sometimes get high disk usage from a program shortly after start up. With Firefox, it sits for several minutes (not responding) and then loads normally. While Firefox is needy, I cannot imagine everybody deals with that.
I would go for prebuilds as I don't know that I would be able to put the components together. I don't know, maybe I could? I don't want add possibly a few hundred to have somebody do it.

Last edited:

This. whatever the GPU the rest is not enough for get close to lowest grade modern system. Playing at up to and including 1080p relies less on GPU, relatively better GPU like one of those would provide for netter picture and more versatility.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think I will just wait till it is time for a new computer. Some of what I want to do with it needs 12GB to run at a decent rate and it is cheaper in the long run if I just wait a year or two and buy something that can take such a card. I do sometimes get high disk usage from a program shortly after start up. With Firefox, it sits for several minutes (not responding) and then loads normally. While Firefox is needy, I cannot imagine everybody deals with that.
I would go for prebuilds as I don't know that I would be able to put the components together. I don't know, maybe I could? I don't want add possibly a few hundred to have somebody do it.

If there's a Micro Center near you, they have a service to assemble air-cooled systems for $150. While I'm not the biggest fan of companies like ibuypower and CyberPower, their assembled rigs will at least use aftermarket parts, meaning the thing you buy from them isn't already a dead-end computer the moment you unbox it.

And remember, if you had spent a little more on this PC to have it assembled and it *weren't* a prebuilt, you'd almost certainly already have a better, non-proprietary PSU installed and be able to just slip in that 3060 you wanted and eventually put in an i9-9900K if you needed it or do a full upgrade of CPU/motherboard without the case and power supply becoming e-waste.

In the long run, those HP/Dell/Lenovo prebuilts will be more expensive, whether in time, money, or desired performance not had.

Sep 4, 2023
This. whatever the GPU the rest is not enough for get close to lowest grade modern system. Playing at up to and including 1080p relies less on GPU, relatively better GPU like one of those would provide for netter picture and more versatility.
I am mostly wanting to mess around with image generation. Pehaps a lot of trouble for such considering it is for my own amusement and not to generate money. Game-wise, I am console focused.

Sep 4, 2023
If there's a Micro Center near you, they have a service to assemble air-cooled systems for $150. While I'm not the biggest fan of companies like ibuypower and CyberPower, their assembled rigs will at least use aftermarket parts, meaning the thing you buy from them isn't already a dead-end computer the moment you unbox it.

And remember, if you had spent a little more on this PC to have it assembled and it *weren't* a prebuilt, you'd almost certainly already have a better, non-proprietary PSU installed and be able to just slip in that 3060 you wanted and eventually put in an i9-9900K if you needed it or do a full upgrade of CPU/motherboard without the case and power supply becoming e-waste.

In the long run, those HP/Dell/Lenovo prebuilts will be more expensive, whether in time, money, or desired performance not had.
I had not anticipated wanting to perform an such upgrades. I don't really use the computer for anything graphics heavy as the only computer games I play are equivalent to PS 1 and earlier. I actually do have a Micro Center nearby.

TRENDING THREADS