[SOLVED] Graphics card allows PC to boot but prevents it to go further: fans run, no display, no USB power, no beeps

Jul 1, 2020
Today, my dad's PC turned off by itself, so I decided to take a look at what is going wrong. After trying some stuff for 30 mins, I isolated the problem: the graphics card.

It worked with the same specs for at least 6 months:
Motherboard - ASRock AB350 Pro4
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU - MSI R9 380 Gaming 4GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x8GB 3000MHz
PSU - EVGA 650 BQ

When I start up the PC, all fans start running (CPU, GPU and case), but there is no display, the USB in the motherboard does not have power (the keyboard and mouse are USB connected and normally glow, but now they do not), and I hear no beeps. When I take out the graphics card and run the PC, the mouse and keyboard start glowing after a while and I hear 5 beeps. When I place the graphics card back in, without inputting the PSU sockets for the graphics card, I get the exact same problem: fans run, no display, no USB power, no beeps.

Next I tried out my old graphics card:
MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING 2G
and everything runs fine.

I input the R9 380 in my own pc, same problem: fans run, no display, no USB power, no beeps.

Now my questions are basically:
  • What happened to the graphics card? Is it fried?
  • How come the fans still work?
  • How is it possible the graphics card is able to stop the PC from continue to run?
  • Could it be that it requires some basic maintenance, like replacing the thermal paste?

PS: The same PC turned off by itself a week ago aswell, it started beeping 2 or 5 times, was random per startup. We decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU, after that the PC ran normal again. It's a hot summer again this year so it made sense.

I really hope you guys can help me out with this one.

Solution
If the video card is not working then yes it's fried as you say
Fans just need power to them to spin, there is no need for the actual card to work
Yes a bad video card can cause a system not to turn on, assuming the power supply is good enough to run the card
No not likely at this point that new thermal paste will fix it
If the video card is not working then yes it's fried as you say
Fans just need power to them to spin, there is no need for the actual card to work
Yes a bad video card can cause a system not to turn on, assuming the power supply is good enough to run the card
No not likely at this point that new thermal paste will fix it

Solution