Graphics Card and Monitor work independently but not together

Th3An0maly

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hi all!

So, I've come across a strange issue with my graphics card and/or monitor that is baffling me.

Issue:
When my desktop graphics card is connected to my monitor via HDMI, a "HDMI No Signal" is displayed. There is no video on this monitor at all, not even at bios start. This connection has worked for the past year and suddenly stopped working. The DVI connection between the graphics card and monitor work as expected.

Oddity:
I can connect another device (a laptop) up to the monitor via HDMI and I get video.
I can connect the computer that is experiencing the issue up to a TV via HDMI and I get video.
Therefore, the monitor's HDMI works independently, and the graphics card's HDMI works independently.

Troubleshooting Tried:

• ■ Remove all video drivers and reinstall.
    ■ Flash Motherboard Bios with latest update.
    ■ Tried connecting with several different HDMI cables.
    ■ Connect another device (a laptop) to the Monitor via HDMI. Video is displayed properly.
    ■ Connect the computer experiencing the issue to another display (a TV) via HDMI. Video is displayed properly.
    ■ Borrowed a displayport to DVI converter, connected it to the graphics card and to the monitor via DVI. Video is displayed properly.
    ■ Purchased a displayport to HDMI cable, connected it to the graphics card and to the monitor via HDMI. Video is NOT displayed.
    ■ This sounds cliché, but I keep a clean PC and don't suspect it is a virus, especially given I don't get any video at bios start.
    ■ The monitor does not show up in the device manager at all.

Question:
Does anyone know how to fix this issue or have any clue what is going on? The only suspicion I have is that my particular graphics card and particular monitor are having problems with the HDMI handshake all of the sudden.

Specs:

• ■ Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7970 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008)
    ■ MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820)
    ■ Monitor: Asus VE248H (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236102)

It's probable your GPU is outputting a resolution that your monitor is incompatible with.

The monitor you listed has a Native Resolution or True Resolution of 1920 x 1080. That means that it is happiest and displays the cleanest image it can display, at that resolution.

Certain resolutions are completely incompatible with some monitors resulting in a 'No Signal' message.

You can test for resolution incompatibility by setting your desktop resolution to something like 800 x 600. Then rebooting with the uncooperative monitor attached. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Th3An0maly

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

I gave this a try, same results. Good idea though! Was something I hadn't tried yet.

I did a quick search on your monitor's manual.

The monitor has a built-in menu which you can navigate via the buttons on the monitor itself. There is an 'Input Selection' menu.

Have you set this to HDMI?

Th3An0maly

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Interesting discovery. I removed my graphics card and used my MoBo's on board video. HDMI doesn't work with this monitor, but DVI does. Seem's to be pointing to some fluke in the MoBo recognizing the monitor or the monitor not sending the correct information to the computer.

Reluctantly, a solution is for me to simply use DVI. I'm a fan of HDMI, because it's the latest and greatest and can support higher resolutions, however, my monitor only goes up to 1080p and I'm not using HDMI for my audio. Am I really losing anything by using a DVI connection (response time, color quality, etc)?

Th3An0maly

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
So, I recently purchased a new laptop and have discovered the issue.

It seems that the monitor mentioned above in my post no longer supports HDMI I/O of anything greater than 1024x768. My new laptop supports 1920x1080 and the monitor in question used to via HDMI. Seems that something odd happened to the HDMI on this monitor to mess it up. Also worth noting, when hooked to the graphics card in question above, the monitor isn't even recognized. Odd, but this seems to be the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1759250/external-monitor-higher-resolutions.html

The above link goes some way to explaining video adapter connector-types.

Have you inspected your monitor's HDMI cable? Is it securely attached at both ends? Are the connector pins undamaged and are the connector heads completely free from dust and debris? Just basic checks to ensure a firm signal connection.

If your monitor has a detachable HDMI cable you could try replacing it with a different cable. That possibly might solve your problem.

To specify, although I'm sure you noticed, your monitor supports HDMI 1.3. Ensure any replacement cables (if the monitor has a detachable cable) are compatible.