Question Graphics Card bottleneck old CPU??

Mar 31, 2019
I Guys,

I just upgraded my GPU, from a R9 285 2GB DDR5, to a RX 570 8GB DDR5.
After running several benchmarks, I figured, that with the newer better Graphics Card, my CPU is performing waaay worse.

Here are both benchmark results

I've heard, that an old CPU can bottleneck a GPU, but I've never seen that before.

Is that a thing, since the GPU seems to be performing pretty good apparently and does not seem to be bottlenecked.

I am planning to upgrade my Motherboard and CPU anyways soon, since my current motherboard is limited to Sata II, and the CPU is running hotter than I would like it to. It's not too bad actually, it's running at about 70°C on full load and like 40 on idle, but I'd prefer it cooler, like with my former CPU i5 7400, which ran at 50°C under full load, at most.

Thanks in advance!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
User benchmark is decent for rough measures. It also does a decent job of pointing out glaring issues.

I don't see anything particularly wrong. FX-6300 is quite aged and it's performance even when new didn't compare well to Intel i5s. If the demands on it are too great and it can't feed the GPU fast enough that will certainly impact the final result.

May I ask what happened to your i5-7400? That would be a better pairing.

Just dealing with it for now until you can afford to upgrade is fine. If you don't want your CPU to overheat you can try increasing graphics settings (I know that sounds counterintuitve, but the more cycles the GPU spends without asking for more data, the less the CPU will have to play catch up) No guarantee that will work all that well. Depends a lot on the game engine.

Mar 31, 2019
Thanks for you answer Eximo!
I moved to another country and had to leave my PC home, very unfortunate, it was a pretty good setup. However, I managed to by my system right now (570 8GB, FX 6300, 16GB RAM, SSD+HDD, 750W PSU) for roundabout 240€, which, I think is a pretty good deal, so I won't complain.