graphics card burn marks / smoke

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Hi, i got this computer with a geforce gt 740 or i should say ih ad, yesterday when i woke up i tried waking it from sleep and it didnt come on when i tried restarting it it turned on for a short while with smoke coming from the graphics card. Next time i tried turning it it also came white smoke and light flashes.

Its got two burn marks on the top side thats close to the case almost gone through the card. Im trying to figure out why this happend. I have been building and upgrading computers for many years and nothing like this never happend to me before.
I had the sidepanel open when it happend so im thinking maybe something got in the case or the 12 v cable from the psu was touching the top of the card to make it burn but that shouldnt be enough to cause this. I also noticed a while back cutouts from the hdmi cable with the sound and picture which i think is coming from the cable that got some loose connection.
Not sure why this happend im just happy i noticed right away so it didnt start a fire in the house.
Any ideas what caused this? the graphics card is a manli geforce gt 740 2 gb ddr5 that has been working good for almost one year with good temos before it happend.
I got the computer up and running again with another card so the only part affected was the graphics card.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
not yet i can upload soon but its like burnt black spots maybe 2x3 cm. im starting to think the manufacturer could be the issue . i hear manli still has decent cards but not a big brand like the more known ones.