Question Graphics Card Buzzing, Game Stuttering

Mar 27, 2019
That was a bad sum up for the title. But what's happening is my graphics card's fan sounds like it's buzzing. Just a zzzzzzzz. Occasionally, my game will stutter and my fan will stop buzzing until the game continues it's normal fps. Also, when I exit the game the fans sound normal again.

It's not the fan. What you're hearing is called "coil whine". You can look it up on youtube to confirm that's what you're hearing.

Good news: The coil whine isn't causing game stuttering.
Bad news: There's no real fix for coil whine. Reducing the load on your GPU with something like a frame rate limiter can help though.

Last edited:

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
As the above poster said this is probably coil whine. You can verify this by increasing fan speed when the GPU is at idle with something like msi afterbuner, if it doesn't buzz its not the fans.

Many GPU's will produce coil whine under certain loads and when at certain framerates, with my card the higher the framerate the louder the whine tends to get.

I also doubt this has anything to do with the stuttering.

To diagnose he stuttering i need more info. Specs, GPU and CPU load in game with vsync off, are you using the latest GPU drivers, and CPU and GPU temps under load in game would be a start.