[SOLVED] Graphics card can't go below 40% fan speed - Vbios?

akimbo.curly

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
Hi,

So very sadly my lovely home theater PC graphics card has died. I refuse to buy another when prices are behaving as they currently are, so I am returning to my old trusty 750ti. Its an EVGA SC - (the single fan model). A full clean and repaste later I am bothered by the fan speeds. It's running at 40% when idle which is ridiculous as its sat at 25 degrees celsius. No programs (Afterburner, Precision X1) can break through this 40% floor.

I also notice that in the BIOS the GOP/Vbios says "Select a Valid GPU" with no ability to select. 750Ti is Maxwell so it supports UEFI bios. Latest Nvidia drivers are installed. Vbios version is 82.07.55.00.50. I therefore don't have any Bios controls and so can't adjust it there either. I was thinking a custom Vbios might be able to set the fan speed a tad lower, but I have no idea how to do that.

Any other suggestions please? What have i missed?

Please help otherwise i'm back to Intel HD Graphics 530.

Solution
If you're asking how to reduce the fan speed below 40%, you can't. If the motor in the fan is stalled (in this case, defined as the torque the motor is outputting is lower than the minimum required to turn the fan blades), it can overheat and burn it out.

EDIT: I should probably say you can still turn the fan off, but everything between 0% and 40% is a no go.
If you're asking how to reduce the fan speed below 40%, you can't. If the motor in the fan is stalled (in this case, defined as the torque the motor is outputting is lower than the minimum required to turn the fan blades), it can overheat and burn it out.

EDIT: I should probably say you can still turn the fan off, but everything between 0% and 40% is a no go.

Solution