[SOLVED] Graphics card caught fire !

Apr 6, 2020
Guys, i made a very stupid mistake today. I used the wrong psu for my h81 mainboard ! After installing the wrong psu to my mainboard, i boot the pc up and the graphics card caught fire ! I instantly unplug the power cables. I dont think the graphics card still work but are there any chance the mainboard and rams still alive?
My specs:
h81h3a3 mainboard
8gb of ram ddr3 1600
Rx 560
500gb hdd
500w psu, i use the 450w one instead !
Im ordering a new rx 580 atm to test if the whole thing still working, maybe itll come tomorrow but im so worried about my motherboard and things ! Please help !

Solution
So while neither are dumpster fire quality, they are very old designs and lack power where it counts. So you are going to need a new PSU, neither of those is going to cope well with a RX 580.
Apr 6, 2020
I've never heard of the GPU catching on fire from a bad PSU and nothing else. I suspect there was something wrong with the card. Or the 6-pin (if required on that model RX 560) was damaged. Is that where the fire was at?
I dont know, but im using the 500w psu, then my pc suddenly turn off and wont turn back on, i thought there might be a problem with the psu so i change that with a 450w psu. It has different cables to plug into the mainboard ! The 500w's cables divided into 2 parts and the 450w's cable wasnt.

bignastyid

Titan
I dont know, but im using the 500w psu, then my pc suddenly turn off and wont turn back on, i thought there might be a problem with the psu so i change that with a 450w psu. It has different cables to plug into the mainboard ! The 500w's cables divided into 2 parts and the 450w's cable wasnt.
Without knowing the makes and models I don't know if the units are decent or trash. A trash 500w PSU isn't going to handle a RX 580 either and you might end up with another fire.

Reactions: Phaaze88

shiriken

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
It really depends on whether the PSU sent a surge through the hardware which would mean that the mobo, DDR, GPU, CPU would potentially be affected. Visually inspect front and back of all hardware for trace burst or discoloration then add each piece back one by one and test with a working / better PSU

Apr 6, 2020
It really depends on whether the PSU sent a surge through the hardware which would mean that the mobo, DDR, GPU, CPU would potentially be affected. Visually inspect front and back of all hardware for trace burst or discoloration then add each piece back one by one and test with a working / better PSU
No, i dont think any of the components have been visually affected. I cant try anything right now just yet because i cant run my pc without the gpu.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, those PSUs are usable, but not the best quality. And neither is suitable for the RX 580. The "500W" will work, but the +12V rail is going to be overloaded when the CPU and GPU are in really heavy use. Nevertheless, if they are in good condition, they should be OK for testing the rest of the system.

You never answered as to where the smoke/fire was coming from on the card. 6-pin connector? We can't really guarantee the rest of the sytem is OK or not. The card itself may have been the problem. Need to know more.