Question Graphics card causes laptop to cut power

May 12, 2019
I am almost sure that my graphics card causes my laptop to cut the power off.

Recently I started having AC cut offs while trying to play a game that uses large amount of GPU (AAA games like Assassin's Creed, Battlefield etc.).

My laptop is Clevo W355SS, it has an integrated Intel HD Graphics card and Nvidia GTX 860m. When I open a game with integrated one it seems fine but when I change the card that runs the game to Nvidia, it cuts the electricity off. It's not a complete shut down, just cuts the power. I tried it with battery plugged in to test. Fan is working, amount of thermal paste I am using is not too low, not too much just enough (also I use Arctic MX 4 which is really good as far as I know).

These are the values I am getting while game is on (Assasin's Creed Unity) and running on Nvidia.

CPU
View: https://i.imgur.com/cce7aHn.jpg

GPUs
View: https://i.imgur.com/mYD6sl2.jpg

I am out of ideas. Is my GPU dead?

Edit:
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
Games are running on Sata 3 SSD, mSata SSD, and HDD.
RAM: 16 gb.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that I cleaned the fan, the air vent, checked sockets and cables, cleaned all the dust carefully with toothbrush and compressed air

Edit 3: I ordered a new fan and as soon as it arrives I'll edit this post again.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019
Looks like your Nvidia GPU is overheating and causing the issue. Is this rig still under warranty?
No unfortunately warranty expired 2 years ago. I've been taking care of it really well since then.

All the cooling system seems to be working well though. Is there a possibility for fan to not to be enough? Because I had to replace the original fan a year ago but it seems like it is working.

May 12, 2019
If you replaced with the same fan type as originally installed, it should be okay. You may just need to apply new thermal compound/pads to the MXM based GPU (I would do the CPU at the same time).
I applied thermal paste then tried it but result didn't change.

It was the same type of fan but not the same brand. Also it made me feel like it was a bit lower in quality than the original one.

Also I am new to posting here is it wrong to reply with quoting? I don't want to annoy anyone.

TRENDING THREADS