[SOLVED] Graphics Card clock speed gets stuck at 551Mhz

Aug 9, 2019
Hi. I recently bought a Lenovo Ideapad 330s-15IKB which has an Intel Core i7 8550u, 12 GB DDR4 memory, Radeon 540 grpahics.

I often use this to play games and i get pretty decent framerates playing modern games at medium settings. However recently in the past 1 month, after gaming for 10 mins my GPU clock speed gets reduced and stuck at 551Mhz.And this causes the framerates to drop dramatically. I always run games while the charger is connected and turn the battery settings to high performance. I have tried reinstalling drivers multiple times from both Lenovo's website as well as AMD's latest driver for this GPU but the issue still persists.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Solution
There is a "trick" you can use to get around that by using a restore point that from before that update, it should also undo the changes from that update (at least it did in older builds).

Just don't forget to back up any data that is newer that that before restoring.
I think it may be a temp or a voltage issue.....but more likely a temp issue....especially with a laptop.
Have you checked the GPU temp when this happens?
If not.....I would.
You can use Afterburner or HWInfo....or a slew of other ones....but those are what I use.
You want the GPU to stay under 80C.

Aug 9, 2019
Did you install a Windows 10 major build update recently (The May 2019 update being the most recent)? If so, you might try an uninstall/roll-back and see if the issue goes away.
Yeah i had installed the latest 1903 version of windows 10. But then i usually delete the old windows files after a month so i cannot roll back to the previous version anymore :(

There is a "trick" you can use to get around that by using a restore point that from before that update, it should also undo the changes from that update (at least it did in older builds).

Just don't forget to back up any data that is newer that that before restoring.

Solution