Graphics Card Compatibility

Masaru41

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I want to know how to figure out how graphics card compatibility works. I understand if it's too much of a hassle to explain to a stranger but I've tried google for weeks and no real luck. Here are my specs.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit OS

I kind of had my eyes on this graphics card model. (copied and pasted the description from the seller)
-Sapphire Radeon HD5830 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100297L

I currently own this Graphics Card
-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Would it be compatible? Is it even worth the purchase? Plz Help! Thank you in advance.

Solution
Unfortunately since that is a standard model laptop (not certain custom ones from Alienware). You can't change the video card, without changing out the entire motherboard (card is integrated). Which is a really painful process btw. Best bet, is give the old one to your kids/wife/girlfriend and buy one with the card you want.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Unfortunately since that is a standard model laptop (not certain custom ones from Alienware). You can't change the video card, without changing out the entire motherboard (card is integrated). Which is a really painful process btw. Best bet, is give the old one to your kids/wife/girlfriend and buy one with the card you want.

Solution