Graphics Card Compatibility

Sunit

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
My computer's specs-

Motherboard-Intel DG31PR
CPU-Intel Pentium D 2.80 ghz........2 cpu
Ram-2 GB DDR2

I want to install a latest graphics card, so that i can play almost all the latest games like GTS 4, NFS Shift etc.
Which is the latest graphics available for my specs?
I want 1 GB of video memory. I would prefer ATI or nVIDIA.

Thanks for your help.....

G

Any modern GPU will work, but your processor will bottleneck the system as well as the amount of RAM.. so dont getb the fastest GPU out there unless you are going to rebuild your pc soon.

ATI 4850 will do nicely here or Nvidia gt250. not terribly expensive and will match your setup ok. try upgrade your ram as well to 4gb and it also looks like you could upgrade to C2D processor which will be a major boost. http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/DG31PR/DG31PR-overview.htm
Also the resolution of your monitir will determine the GPU power you need.

What size are you going to game at?

Sunit

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

not more than 1280x1024....well my monitor supports 1600x1200....i would just like the game to run smooth....resolution won't matter that much...1024x768 would be perfect...
But i want all the latest games to run....

By the way which CPU would be the best for my motherboard?
In the manual it is written for the core 2 duo and core 2 quad.....someone recommended me E8400 (3 ghz) is that good?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
At that resolution, there are cheaper alternatives. An ATI 4650, or 9600GSO would probably meet your needs. Forget what you have learned about Video Ram. Without a powerful GPU and high resolution, more than 512mb of videoram would be a waste of money.