Question Graphics card compatible with motherboard or not?

Jul 3, 2023
Regards to all. I need help because I can't find anything on the internet and I'm not an expert. I have an Asus H81M-R motherboard that has one PCI x16 slot for the GPU, it does NOT support PCIe-3.0, so I am interested in whether the Asus Rog strix RX 570 8gb graphics card can work on it. Any help is welcome. Note: BIOS updated, everything updated, power supply has 1x8 pin connector. When I connect the graphics card, it works but there is no image on the screen. It works on another (friend's) board. If the graphics card is not compatible with this board, would it work on the Asus H87-Plus motherboard. I have an I5 4570 processor, RAM 8gb ddr3 1600MHz, Power supply LC POWER LC6650GP3 V2.3 650W
. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you'd say it doesn't support PCIe 3.0 because it should as that first slot is from the CPU and your CPU certainly supports PCIe 3.0. There is no reason the card shouldn't work with that motherboard either way.

I'm not sure why it would be set this way, but you might want to check the BIOS to see if it is set to using CPU for video output.

Jul 3, 2023
I'm not sure why you'd say it doesn't support PCIe 3.0 because it should as that first slot is from the CPU and your CPU certainly supports PCIe 3.0. There is no reason the card shouldn't work with that motherboard either way.

I'm not sure why it would be set this way, but you might want to check the BIOS to see if it is set to using CPU for video output.
Checking the motherboard specs I saw the following:
AGP support - no
PCI-E x16 - 1
SLI/Crossfire support - no
Support for PCI Express 2.0 - yes
Support for PCI Express 3.0 - no
I'm telling you, I'm not an expert.

Reactions: thestryker
That board only supports PCI-express GEN 2.0 version
Crazy how Intel segmented that era, because I can't think of any logical reason they'd be like that. Wonder if it's really a chipset from the prior generation or they just didn't mandate 3.0. Guess H87 based boards would be the cheapest that actually did PCIe 3.0.

I mean it doesn't matter for the issue at hand and won't impact performance on that card, but it still blows my mind.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023
OKAY. Update me once you try using some other power supply.
I dont know what to think. I put in another power supply (borrowed from a friend) and the card worked immediately, but the fans did not spin. After that I put my power back on and the card worked as well, the fans didn't spin either. I restarted the computer and again the card did not want to show the image and the fans were now spinning. I'll try to borrow the power supply for a day or two to test and report back with the results.

Jul 3, 2023
Which PSU model was it ?
There was some anonymous power supply, I didn't look, but nothing branded. I ordered a new power supply from Gigabite. I'll let you know in a couple of days if that solved the problem. I sincerely hope they will. Greetings and thank you very much. I'll be in touch in a few days.