[SOLVED] Graphics card cooling

Aug 9, 2021
Hello!

I've been having some temp problems with my graphics card, and decided to turn to the community here, for guidance and help.
It all started with my 2080Ti getting really hot, in the 95-96 celcius range (203-204 f). I decided to attempt installing a Kraken G12 on it, to see if that would help. On the GPU itself, it did, at least in the beginning. It dropped from the 90's range, down to around 70-75 (158-167), but lately it started getting hotter again.

So I installed HWmonitor, so I could check the other sensors on the card while playing games. Results in the uploaded image here.
First lines are 5 minutes after booting (just in windows) the second and third are from 10 and 20 minutes respectively in a game.
The highest I've seen it go, which I don't have screenshots of, are 98 (208,4) on the hot spot. Screenshot of some samples here:

I'm going to assume that's far, far from a safe temp range, but I'm at a loss as to what I can really do about it.
The GPU is an Asus GeForce® RTX 2080Ti 11GB ROG Strix card, now with the mounted G12, along with an NZXT Kraken x53 AIO cooler.
The case is a Corsair Carbide 600C inverse, and I can't think of ways to get air cooling to fit in that case, to get more air around the GFX.

So, I guess my questions are:
Should I change to a full pre-built aftermarket cooler for it and, if so, which models would you guys suggest?
I've been under the impression that buying and mounting small heatsinks wouldn't help in this case, because the heat still can't properly "escape" the card, as there's no fans that point directly to/from the area?
Are there other relatively easy-to-mount cooling units that could be used for the rest of the card, where the G12 is insufficient?

Thanks for your time, if you made it through my rambling

Solution
I quess I got lucky getting a used 2080 ti that doesn't run hot.
In the pics I linked you can see the my initial results.
The seller had a ek quantum vector wb on it but removed it to return the card to stock with new pads, and Corsair tm50 paste for selling.
I got the 2080 ti, ek wb and ek wb backplate for $900 he also gave me a copy of the original receipt from Micro Center
When I reregistered it last Saturday with evga it still had 204 days left under warranty.

As to undervolting it has helped my gtx 1070 ti and my gtx 1060 6gb in a Asus Fx504 gaming laptop.

Currently I have the 2080 set @ .987v
Core clk set 1?? Something showing pretty steady 1995mhz.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/64590877...
Aug 9, 2021
Have you cleaned the radiator out of the AIO that is cooling it? The Kraken G12 is just an adapter - the x53 looks like the cooler you used...is this clogged with dust or anything? Is it functional?
It's functional, it was new when I assembled it. While it did help on the temps in the beginning, it's not anymore, some two weeks after assembly.
Edit: I'm fine with the GPU chip temps, it's the rest I'm worried about.

The room is generally around 22 degrees C.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So this is the issue that using cooling which does not cover all heat generating points of the GPU, which are usually covered by 1) factory air coolers and heatsinks or 2) full-cover GPU blocks.

AIOs which use the G12 don't always account for the vRAM, Mosfets and other hot points on these cards because the AIO only covers the GPU die while leaving other components exposed. This is similar to universal waterblocks that can be installed - secondary cooling is needed for the other components on the card. I've never used a G12, but I know how they work, most of which is to offer the support for an AIO to cool the GPU die...the rest is supposedly cooled by the included fan.

Aug 9, 2021
So this is the issue that using cooling which does not cover all heat generating points of the GPU, which are usually covered by 1) factory air coolers and heatsinks or 2) full-cover GPU blocks.

AIOs which use the G12 don't always account for the vRAM, Mosfets and other hot points on these cards because the AIO only covers the GPU die while leaving other components exposed. This is similar to universal waterblocks that can be installed - secondary cooling is needed for the other components on the card. I've never used a G12, but I know how they work, most of which is to offer the support for an AIO to cool the GPU die...the rest is supposedly cooled by the included fan.

Yeah. I did read that, but some Youtube videos seemed to indicate that the VRAM heat and such, weren't a real issue. But maybe I'm just particularly unlocky with my PCB. I did consider cheap water blocks, but read that, as you mentions, they have this same problems.

What would be a good option, then, that doesn't cost equal to half (or full, in some cases) new graphics card?

I've looked at something like the Accelero line of coolers, which covers a lot more area of the card, but I'm unsure if it even fits my specific model. The cooling market is quite oversaturated, and it's hard to separate the good from the bad ones :)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah. I did read that, but some Youtube videos seemed to indicate that the VRAM heat and such, weren't a real issue.

Do you have the links to some of these?

Please realize that just because something is on YouTube does not make it 100% accurate, or at least 100% accurate for 100% people 100% of the time. YouTube content creators want the page clicks, they don't necessarily all have the accountability to be as accurate as possible.

Aug 9, 2021
Do you have the links to some of these?

Please realize that just because something is on YouTube does not make it 100% accurate, or at least 100% accurate for 100% people 100% of the time. YouTube content creators want the page clicks, they don't necessarily all have the accountability to be as accurate as possible.
I remember this one, at least, which I watched. Not sure about the others. I get easily distracted so my youtube history is.. long :p
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw5sOCEDD14&t=588s

Just ran heaven, and took some snips from the sensor page.

From the Card pane:

It peaked at 95,1 degrees during the second-last scene. That's.. rather immense.

Aug 9, 2021
Not sure if undervolting the gpu would get the temps down enough.

And TH done a review of your case and Sorry to say this but the case isn't helping matters either.
https://www.tomshardware.com/review...0c-atx-full-mid-tower-gaming-case,4415-2.html

Yeah, it ain't a great case. I thought it was fine at the time, but that was different, older, hardware.
I tried undervolting a bit, and it does make a difference. Still doesn't feel like safe temps, though.
What cooling options do I have, aside from changing the case?

Aug 9, 2021
Only other alternative I see is drilling/cutting a hole in the see-through case to mount some fans there for more airflow, but I think that'd just crack the entire side panel?

Maybe something like this also if your drive bays are empty.
The fan mount and this could get some fresh air in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184869757477?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Have you considered small mosfet heatsinks also.
I was thinking of the g12 route with my gtx 1070 ti until I decided not to.
While I was researching some vids and articles mentioned mosfet heat sinks on memery and vrm's.

https://www.frozencpu.com/scan/MM=c...word_search&mv_searchspec=Mosfet AND heatsink

These options may cost you some $$ but would keep your case almost the same as it is now.

Aug 11, 2021
Hi Lunatic,
I saw your build with specs and also saw the case you are using.. First, your case has three fan options. Fresh air from the back, Exhaust at the front and bottom. The website suggested this is the best orientation which I agree. Next your temps are getting high on the GPU 2080ti because these cards are naturally HOT cards.. I have a 1080ti and it used to get HOT all the time. We talking 80-90C Since you are not overclocking, I too think this is unacceptable temps in general. So, my suggestion is to undervolt the GPU using MSI afterburner GPU software utility. Its a wonder for these cards. What you need to do is download it, install it and run a few test at stock settings using Center Bench or Superposition benchmark. These will tax your GPU for sure. Next, set your fan speed on the GPU to run at 53% as Nvidia stated these cards fans won't kick in until that as that's the lowest and quietest speeds for cooling at idle. I have mines set at 63-65% as I do not hear it at that level. So, once you run all your test, get your highest GPU temps, than you need to detach the monitor in Afterburner. Click on detach and hold "Control F" to open manual voltage and clock speed. You will see a graph with a bunch of bullet points. So, to undervolt you need to overvolt first.. You need to OC your card to see what is the absolute highest clock, memory and volts you need to be stable. Once you get those numbers, than you need to undervolt the card. You want to get the highest amount of clock speeds at minimal volts. The graph on the monitor will show you. Afterwards, you need to grab one little box shown on the graph towards the lowest volts/clock speed. The box you select, you have to move all other boxes below your selected box that are showing after every box (NOT BEFORE YOUR BOX). Test it! If its stable, save the profile. Repeat until you have the lowest volts at the highest clocks. Currently, I have an ITX build using the Raijentek Ophion Evo, i8700K, Gigabyte Auros Pro Wifi ITX motherboard, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, 16gb Venegance Pro RGB overclocked to 3000mhz, Artic Freezer II 240mm AIO, 2TB SSD, (1) M.2 1TB , (1) fan at the bottom as Exhaust, EVGA 650 Super Nova G3 Gold. I run a modest 5943 memory overclock (tested and stable for gaming) and run an undervolt of 0.850 volts @ 1824 clock speed. Why so low??? Because I only lose minimum performance while still getting over 144 fps in all my games at 2K video settings. That's the limit I set. Now for the temps.... I am sitting at 25 degrees Celsius at idle on the CPU, 30-33 degrees Cel on the GPU. While gaming, CPU highest temp is 49C, GPU highest temps goes to 51-60 (if I crank up to max settings). Mind you, my case is a SMALL HOT BOX!! But the build quality is solid and the perfect desk size. My last test, I removed the glass side panel and GPU temps went down even lower to 45C degrees.. I am exploring custom side panels after seeing those results. Did I mention I game in 2K!!! Those are awesome temps. So, yeah that's my suggestion. You put an AIO on GPU and not the CPU???? You need to do both.. Get the Artic Freezer III Cooler 360 for the bottom and use your Kraken at the front for both used as exhaust. Your case suffers from not having a top mount which would be ideal for exhausting heat faster since heat rises. Hope that helps! I included a screenshot so you can see how I monitor everything.. I also undervolt my CPU by -0.50volts because I don't need the full stock 1.2volts.. As you can see I keep my Vram in check also. My CPU AIO fans on the Freezer II are on system 1/2 which are running at 60% speed because these are quiet so why not. The exhaust fan at the bottom is on my CPU header running full speed because again, its dead silent. The GPU shown is random spike during idle.. It normally sits at 450 Mhz @ 649 volts hence why my CPU/GPU is so low.. I'm also running 44ghz on all 6 cores as well.. Setting the cache ratio lower at idle lowers the temps too.. Its not needed for web browsing or youtube videos so its fine.

lVPVhBL.png

Last edited:

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
+1 for side panel fans lol I dropped my 3090 about 11-14C range when gaming and about 8-12C at idle card usually idles at 38-41C and plays Red Dead 2 maxed out at 61-63C that is with factory thermal pads even on a gigabyte card. Also as far as the MODDIY kit for the HDD fan its marginal if anything when it comes to drop in temps I don't think it changed anything at all other than visual appeal when I added the 3rd fan in my HDD bay.

https://ibb.co/hFhb4Dc

https://ibb.co/vvnzgVB

Aug 11, 2021
+1 for side panel fans lol I dropped my 3090 about 11-14C range when gaming and about 8-12C at idle card usually idles at 38-41C and plays Red Dead 2 maxed out at 61-63C that is with factory thermal pads even on a gigabyte card. Also as far as the MODDIY kit for the HDD fan its marginal if anything when it comes to drop in temps I don't think it changed anything at all other than visual appeal when I added the 3rd fan in my HDD bay.

https://ibb.co/hFhb4Dc

https://ibb.co/vvnzgVB
Awesome build and great job keeping those temps down on the beefy 3090. Lol.