[SOLVED] Graphics Card Crashed unexpectedly

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
I was playing a game that was the opposite of demanding, and all of a sudden my GPU fans ramped up to 100% and my monitor stopped receiving signal, and my PC crashed. My GPU seems to be working fine now, but im not sure what caused the problem or what should I do?

System specs-
Strix 1060 GPU
16gb ddr4 3000mhz DRAM
i7 8700
gigabyte z370 ultra gaming 2.0

I really appreciate any help or advice that you give me, as this problem is really making me worried

Solution
Use the DUU to uninstall you gpu drivers.Then install the newest ones.Also check you gpus temps.This "GPU fans ramped up to 100% and then crashed" indicates that it was trying to save its life.Use a monitoring program like msi afterburner or something to check temps.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Is anything overclocked ? GPU or CPU ? If a GPU overclock i would guess you need to dial it back, if not then have you altered any settings recently or updated drivers ?

What PSU are you using ?

Put your mind at ease that everything is now working OK, if it did some damage you would likely have seen it by now but would be nice to understand why it happened.

Edit: Ignore ? on CPU overclock, i c u have the 8700 and not K :)

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Given the way you worded your question you may be away but GPU fans are scaled based on demand, the higher the use the stronger the fans clock to compensate for the increased heat. You say this wasnt a demanding part of the game though so a little curous why it cranked up....

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

Sorry for the late reply!
Nothing was overclocked, and my gpu was sitting around 56 celsius, and it wasnt anywhere near full usage. The fans didnt increase speed gradually either, they just jumped straight to 100% without warning and then the input stopped. I ran a full scan with my antivirus software and nothing turned up, and I tried playing the game again and everything was fine, I also updated my drivers yesterday. Would it be safe to assume that this was casued by some sort of bug in the game? also thanks a ton for helping me out, i really appreciate it!

I also have a 500W PSU, its gold rated and ive never had any issues with it before.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from keenwads : "1060 crashes on startup"

What is your full system spec? include make and model of the PSU

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

Yes, I only got it a few months ago. My PSU is a thermaltake Toughpower GX1 500W gold rated
i7 8700
16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram
gigabyte z370 ultra gaming 2.0

Distorted

Distinguished
BANNED
Apr 30, 2006
Use the DUU to uninstall you gpu drivers.Then install the newest ones.Also check you gpus temps.This "GPU fans ramped up to 100% and then crashed" indicates that it was trying to save its life.Use a monitoring program like msi afterburner or something to check temps.

Solution

keenwads

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018

I did the first step and so far it works fine, but the temperatures never went above 60.

Thanks for your advice!