Graphics Card Crashing Computer

Jul 1, 2018
Hi. I have an MSI GeForce GTX 970 installed in a computer with an i7 3770 CPU, 16 Gigs of Ram Asus Motherboard and a 700 or 750-watt power supply. My old power supply didn't have the two 8 pin PCI-E power connectors only one so I bought a dongle converter for that converts two Molex to an 8 pin. I think this is causing the problems listed below but just wanted to see if there is any other input before I buy a new Power Supply.

I purchased the Graphics Card a few months ago to replace my old one. I'm hoping the card wasn't overclocked and damaged by that but the seller assured me it worked fine. It was working fine for a few months but then after playing Batman Origins, it would crash after a few seconds. The crash says the system was restarted because of a Surge or Voltage overload that caused a system instability and Asus's protection system kicked in.

I turned the graphics settings down and it worked better but then started crashing again. This issue didn't appear in any other games. However, today I started playing Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain and I turned the setting up since the Frame rates were acceptable and the game crashed after an hour of playing. The same "surge in voltage power error".

Probably I will be purchasing a new power supply in the next few days, but just wanted to get some input before doing so. Hopefully, I haven't also damaged my Motherboard through the process but the computer doesn't really crash when I am just using it for work.

Solution
Yes, either the power supply doesn't work well, or the adapter you are using is junk. I would just go with a new PSU. Make sure it's modular to save space!