Question Graphics card cutting out and fans running at max speed ?

paul.j.britton

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
Hi all,

Having a problem with my system and need confirmation before going any further. Started to have issues last weekend with the D4 beta, where the display would cut out, the fans would spin to max, and I would be forced to restart the computer. This started to happen more and more, even when the game itself was not running, though running graphically intensive processes seemed to provoke it. To the best that I could determine, the CPU/GPU temps never went high enough to warrant a shutdown (around 70/80 at peak). I assumed that my old card (Gigabyte 1060 GTX) was on its way out and bought a replacement (below in specs).

I played for a few hours last night with no issues and thought the problem was fixed, but came into my office this morning to find the fans spinning and the display disengaged. I've not received any direct error messages at any point, but when I was using the system remotely through Windows Remote Desktop, I got a pop up on the linked pc saying it disconnected because the video card failed to start (or something along those lines).

My next best guess is that it's a PSU problem, but I don't know what steps I can take to verify/fix this. I'm also aware that the BIOS is a couple years old and could do with an update, but I'm not sure that's as likely to be causing the issue, and in any case I'm nervous about trying to update it when the PC could turn itself off halfway through the installation and potentially leave me bricked.

If someone with more tech savvy could point me in the right direction, I'd be extremely grateful!

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: ASRock 6700 XT
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz 16GB (2x8GB)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WiFi (02/03/21 BIOS)
PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

paul.j.britton

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
Have you tried the gpu in the second pcie 16 slot? That way you can rule out the slot being a problem. You could also use one stick of ram at a time to rule out your memory being the problem.

Cheers for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind. Annoyingly I think it's going to be quite hard to reliably replicate the problem in order to fix it now that the D4 beta is ended.