Question Graphics Card Decision

Mar 12, 2019
I got a FX 6350 AM3+/4.20GHz/14 MB and I was thinking if it is worth getting an RX 580 8GB Nitro+. ( I got a MSI 970A-G43 AM3+/970/DDR3 Motherboard, 550 Watt Power Supply and a Samsung 24'' S24D300HS Monitor). I got the alternative of buying an RX 570 8GB Nitro+

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am not sure what my PSU is but I know it is 550 Watt. I am not really upgrading. My old GPU ''died'' and it was a Sapphire R7 370 Nitro Dual-X OC 4 GB

The specifics of the PSU are important information. Nobody can give any kind of PSU recommendation responsibly without knowing what it is. Doubly so given that your previous GPU died in only a few years, something that can very easily be caused by a garbage power supply over time.

Reactions: RobCrezz

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The least expensive 550W worth buying is typically the recent Corsair CX 550.

I'm very glad you check for your PSU, that's a frighteningly poor one. Passive PFC and +12V rails that classify that as barely a 300W PSU indicates a supply that was designed for PCs of 20 years ago. I'd bet a good sum of money that the capacitors in there are bottom-of-the-barrel as well, as almost invariably is the case with these kind of dodgy off-brand PSUs.

I consider the odds that this PSU contributed to the death of your previous GPU to be quite good. PSUs like these are notorious for poor voltage regulation, inadequate filtering, and the cheapest 85-degree Chinese capacitors they can source.