raindrops

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hey, this is my first post here, and i've recently just been learning about the world of computing hardware and upgrading and have done over 20+ hours of research in the last couple of days. So i just found this community and you all looked like nice people. Well anyway, i need help

On Deciding what Graphics Card to get. I have $100-$200 to spend as a budget, and looking to get the highest card to last me for a while. Also some tips on how to choose the best card for me would help greatly, thanks :)

I play the latest games on my computer such as COD6 and Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed II, things that require higher than what my PC could handle.

Computer Setup:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
2.01 GHz (Socket 939)

2GB of RAM

Graphics Card: Nvidia 6800 GS

Motherboard: Asus A8N-E(Regular)

550W (PSU)Power Supply Unit

To anyone that responds, thank you.
Matt-

raindrops

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
My monitor is 1280x1024,

Psu = TP2-550EPS12V

Oh, and after upgrading my video card i plan on upgrading my processor shortly after when i get the money. :)

thanks for the quick reply.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Currently you'll need something like a 4670 or something that performs similarly. A 5750 or so will serve you at that resolution for quite a while, but it will be bottlenecked by your CPU. Also you may want to consider adding 2GB of RAM to you system. I personally think that you'd be better off saving money for a new comp.

raindrops

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for all the info guys, are there any other suggestions on video cards? i probably should have mentioned in the original post that im slowly upgrading my computers parts instead of buying an entire new PC, i just feel like i would be throwing away money on things i dont need like a new casing and such, also i plan to upgrade the card first, then the processor, then the ram, than if needed the PSU, or possibly the psu after the card because of the extra components i will be inserting into the system.

And thanks anonymousdude, i was looking at the 5770 before so i most likely will go for that