Graphics Card Deficit :-[

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I want to buy two of the better brand 285GTX cards but there is nothing available lol, I was even thinking of the 295 but for now there sold out. I had one EVGA but I held off cuz I wanted two lol. There is a 400$ EVGA 285 but it offers EVBOT, I don't feel like paying an extra 60-80 dollars for two cards when I don't need it. I wonder when the next shipment of cards comes in. ( I don't trust any other place but Newegg so it's worth the wait)

p.s, I'm not a Radeon guy hehe

rockyjohn

Distinguished
At this point you might strongly consider waiting for the release of the new nVidia boards in the next quarter, both to consider them but also to see if there are any significant price decreases on the 285. Or to see if there are any good after Christmas sales.

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I actually have an RMA return on a laptop from acer(they have the worst customer service bar-none and a bad product from my experience and opinion), it was 850$ so my foots already in the grave, and I don't want to do the whole waiting game thing because there is ALWAYS something better around the corner and if you wait then you end up never buying anything lol. I'd buy that card from you but I'd rather do it through Newegg because then my purchase is protected down the line, they are the best. I've been looking at a lot of benchmarks and the dual sli gtx 285 pack enough punch for me, and I've always liked the brand along with AMD. It's like the Chevy vs. Dodge debate hehe. I might actually go tri sli which is suprisingly better than 4 gtx 295's from what I've read. For now I'm going to use my 8800gtx as a physx card (if I'll be able to) in the third slot of my projected mobo.

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
sorry about the double post but right now looking at the time crunch I have and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150454&cm_re=5850-_-14-150-454-_-Product, I am kind of tempted, I am die hard AMD and right now the only mobo i can use with Nvidia and AMD is this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 which is somewhat experimental(and has alot of unnecassary ports), whilst with a radeon I have more selection, I've never owned a radeon, is the interface much like nvidia I am a bit worried because I am not familiar with them at all. Any and all opinions are appreciated ;-p

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Can I know why your selling your gtx 295? were you die hard Nvidia and now changed you mind? hehe Im very much on the fence right now (I was only on the nvidia side a couple minutes ago) but now I'm heavily reconsidering just given the facts. I wonder If i'd still be able to use my 8800gtx for physx if I ran crossfire Radeon 5870's.

Lol the economy is bad and all the 5970's are sold out as well, I think i'm soing with the 2 5870's

Well I can tell you that you cannot use an nVidia card for physx with ATI cards being the main GPU's in the system. Good ol nVidia made sure the drivers do not work with ATI cards.
Flippin stupid nVidia people.
I thought they had learned a lesson about keeping their hardware proprietary when they finally did something smart and licensed their SLI technology to Intel.
I used to like nVidia, would not spend a dime on anything they have now.

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I read online that I can use older drivers, and i found this http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-PhysX-System-driver-8.09.04-download-2067.html
I already have the 8800gtx and weve spent too much time with it together to part with it on ebay ehehehe. I'm not sure if it works as i wont be able to test it myself for a couple weeks, but hell it'd be worth a shot

I share the same sentiments, I was die hard NVidia, I am glad they were sold out because I would have made a mistake buying one(err two) out of brand loyalty. Both to my wallet and processing power. I've literally been sleepless for the last 2 days just reading up on things because its been two years since i've looked into building a system. I thought I'd still go Nvidia/Amd for this last generation, but (two days ago i wasn't aware) Amd is Ati so there is no contest here hehe. Even if Nvidia craps out a comparable product Ati still respects us games. I see alot of Nvidia optimization in Autocad/Inventer drafting and cad programs so i think they've started a new focus all together.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

In a review THG did last month, it reported:

Some say it's an underhanded effort by Nvidia to handicap ATI cards (Batman is a TWIMTBP title, after all), while others claim that ATI's developer relations team didn't move fast enough to get AA implemented. Whatever the case, here are the results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465.html

Do you have some special knowledge the author did not have that lays the blame on nVidia? If so, please provide your source.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

???? Where is that coming from?

ATI and nVidia have routinely gone back and forth in having the faster or better cards. Until ATIs relaease of the 5000 series, nVidia had dominated for awhile with its GTX 200 series. Before that it was ATI with its 4000 series. Historically the cycle has repeated. Right now ATI is on top and nVidia is expected to release its new series next quarter. How is that crapping out or disrespecting gamers?

And nVidia and ATI both make workstation graphics cards- and have been from way back. Why is it surprising some programs have optimizations for nVidia cards? How does that qualify as being a "new focus"? Please explain.

gamedead

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
http://www.ngohq.com/news/16560-patch-re-enables-physx-when-ati-card-is-present.html

I had some a better article where Nvidia was actually interviewed and gave a bunch of BS, the comments say it all. But any company that does this is unfair. It's like panasonic not allowing you to view HDTV if a Sony Blu-ray player is present.
Here's something about the workstation, I'm still trying to find the initial article I saw.

Here's one almost identical but the other one I found had a lot of user feedback.
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20928

Now keep in mind that it's only my current opinion derived from the fact that I can't i find a single Amd/Nvidia mobo for the AM3 except for the one listed above from Msi(and lower versions). Now there is also a court battle between Nvidia AND Intel over chipsets.
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/615250-xbitlabs-nvidia-intel-scared-we-will-4.html

The fact that they are betting heads with BOTH major companies AMD and Intel is against the consumer.

It also boasts the fact that the senior managers opinion on Nvidia being anti-gamer may in fact be un-biased.

Nvidia and Ati have always been like two boxers in the ring, I always bet my money on Nvidia, the Geforce and Nforce chipsets were some of the best in my opinion.

But granted my current situation I feel like Nvidia has become the boxer tat hits below the belt. Morals aside I can see this when I look at price and performance towards myself as the end user. Also the fact that I am limited to literally one board if I want to pair it with a current gen AMD processor. And the board itself is questionable.

And there is nothing wrong with Nvidia optimizing for workstations, but for me as the end-gamer I lose on money and performance. Ati has a plethora of FireGL workstation and from what I've seen they haven't had a problem keeping gamers happy as well. I would give Nvidia the benefit of the doubt that there just currently behind due a normal business cycle... However granted with the above stated situations I just don't see that they have an excuse, I'm disappointed.

Now none of this is stated as fact, there is a chance that all the "expert" opinions I can find from interviews are indeed biased based off of business relations, and then the people who agree with me are gullible enough to turn against Nvidia. So this is just my own conclusion but with this many pieces lying around, gamers getting the $it end of the stick from Nvidia may be the bigger picture.

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The reason im selling my GTX 295 is because I am interested in eyefinity with a 5870 (i have some extra monitors). I think its worth the 10% (about) loss in performance, since I didn't even use the 295 to its potential. There is nothing wrong with the card either, its still has its lifetime warranty.