Graphics card destroying motherboards?

Adam von Gaertner

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
What is this witchcraft?

It's been a while since i have posted since I forgot my old user name and password, so i'm using a new one for now. Anyway. I have a 9800gx2 that had been working fairly well in a new build. It really only ever was used for minecraft and internet explorer. I hadn't used it for a week and today decided to put a dvd drive in and fire it up. Once i turned it on it just sat there fans blowing and no display. So I removed the dvd drive thinking there was a short or something. Still the same problem, all lights on fans spinning no beeps no signal.

So being the complete genius i am, I decided to test the Graphics card in my gaming rig. It has an HX750 corsair power supply 16gb of ram and an 8 core processor. It was working fine. Now I put in the 9800gx2 and same thing. Fans spin no signal on monitor. I put my old working GPU back in, same thing, no signal. So now I have 2 computers that don't work and 2 motherboards on their way from newegg.

My question is, has anybody ever heard of a graphics card burning up motherboards or is this unheard of. I couldn't find anything on it. Just people saying it's the power supply, which I am sure it is not. Just for reference the other computer has an OCZ 700w ModXStream-Pro power supply, a fx4100 processor and 4gb of ram. The MOBO's are both ASRock 970 pro3's. Which are not the best, but not bad.

My only guess its it was a bit of both. The card was trying to get more power than it should and tried to take the power from the motherboard and overloaded the PCI slot. Thus frying the motherboard. Thats my best guess because I have never hear of that.

Suferbus

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Yes, I concur. Your GPU has overloaded the pci slot and thus fried your mobo....most likely the case. Try putting your good gpu in the pc that you tried installing the dvd rom, see if it fires up. Let me know---Suferbus :(

Adam von Gaertner

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

I replaced the motherboard on both computers and things seem to be working. But, one of the 12v PSU graphics card plugs was not working properly on the OCZ PSU. I used the other one and things worked as expected. I still cannot understand why this happened, but I will not be using this graphics card again. On another note my gaming rig had an issue related to my good graphics card last night, it stopped responding and was recovered. I believe it was due to damage done to the Corsair power supply by the bad 9800gx2 since the same 12v power connector was damaged on the OCZ PSU. I'm glad this happened and was posted on this forum so that other people with similar problems can properly identify the issue.

Does anybody know if there is a good PCI x-16 tester/meter. I have one for PSU's but nothing for motherboards or Graphics cards.

Suferbus

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Adam von Gaertner, you can purchase a motherboard diagnostic test and debug card from most online tech stores and there are some on Ebay too. Here is a link for one..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST8679-laptop-Mini-PCI-E-desktop-PC-PCI-diagnostic-test-tester-debug-card-LPC-/321059150243?pt=US_Motherboard_Diagnostic_Cards&hash=item4ac09dd9a3

here is another but only for standard pci slots. There are some for pcie x16 out there around the same price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Notebook-4bit-Diagnostic-Tool-USB-PCI-Tester-NEW-/130342621878?pt=US_Motherboard_Diagnostic_Cards&hash=item1e590692b6