Question Graphics card detected but not giving anything

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
just bought a rx 550 from ebay cuz i play simple games like roblox and mc
the problem is that it dosnt give off anything like theres no diffrence if i didnt have it in or if i did

i can send a snip of it on gpu-z if u guys want

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
What's the rest of your system specs and did you plug the video cable directly to the card if were previously using integrated graphics?
i5-2500
8gb ram
64 bit

uh i used a hdmi to vga converter and plugged it in my moniter and system and yea i did have intergrated graphics

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Going by the system's age, it is more than likely a bios compatibility issue. 'Sometimes' can get away with running Uefi GPU's on legacy boards if from one of the custom brands such as Asus, Gigabyte etc whom likely have supported bios updates. Oem Pre-builts ie HP, Dell etc, usually very different outcome due to lackluster support.

Also AMD's later gen cards are more iffy when it comes to older boards. Nvidia are more forgiving though. A GT 1030 for example would most likely work.

What is your motherboard?

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
Going by the system's age, it is more than likely a bios compatibility issue. 'Sometimes' can get away with running Uefi GPU's on legacy boards if from one of the custom brands such as Asus, Gigabyte etc whom likely have supported bios updates. Oem Pre-builts ie HP, Dell etc, usually very different outcome due to lackluster support.

Also AMD's later gen cards are more iffy when it comes to older boards. Nvidia are more forgiving though. A GT 1030 for example would most likely work.

wat does dat mean

Ferimer

Distinguished
i5-2500
8gb ram
64 bit

uh i used a hdmi to vga converter and plugged it in my moniter and system and yea i did have intergrated graphics
YOu wont see much a difference when you are using VGA. Your monitor will only output certain resolutions. DId you make sure to check those resolutions in the display settings to ensure you are getting the right one that your GPu can support?

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
YOu wont see much a difference when you are using VGA. Your monitor will only output certain resolutions. DId you make sure to check those resolutions in the display settings to ensure you are getting the right one that your GPu can support?
the reason i used it becuz my moniter dosnt support hdmi so i gota convert it
when i use my card notings is really wrong its just that theres no diffrence if i had it or didnt have it ya get me like it dosnt work

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
Uefi is a different bios format used on newer motherboards which newer graphics cards use to display.

I suggest taking your computer to a PC shop if circumstances allow to get it checked or if anyone with a bit more knowledge help you in person.

Is the video cable in use powered to convert the signal?

System Model HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC - motherboard

yea cuz my moniter dosnt supposet hdmi

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
System Model HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC - motherboard

yea cuz my moniter dosnt supposet hdmi

They're not asking if your system is powered, they're asking if your cable has a separate USB or plug for power. You're converting from a digital to an analog process; you need a cable/adapter that's active, not just passive, and the ones that are the least dodgy will be powered.

An adapter that works properly will typically look like this:

main-520x350.jpg

Or this:

61b0nnYC3qL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Dodgier cables/adapters rely on the tiny bit of power that the HDMI port provides. (Pin 18/28 is +5V power).

Last edited:

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
They're not asking if your system is powered, they're asking if your cable has a separate USB or plug for power. You're converting from a digital to an analog process; you need a cable/adapter that's active, not just passive, and the ones that are the least dodgy will be powered.

An adapter that works properly will typically look like this:

main-520x350.jpg

Or this:

61b0nnYC3qL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Dodgier cables/adapters rely on the tiny bit of power that the HDMI port provides. (Pin 18/28 is +5V power).
ye i used the 2nd for my moniter

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
Is the adapter plugged into the rx 550 hdmi out directly and not the motherboard video out you were using previously??

Irregardless of adapter if you get a display then the performance should be increased substantially.
ye its in the rx 550
also i dont think its the adapter i think its my card thats not giving me anything

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
uh the only adapter i have is the hdmi to vga and its not plugged into the wall lol

So then, you don't have the second adapter in the picture, which clearly has a plug for the wall. Which is important as I had just finished describing to you why power is needed for a dependable adapter.

I'm simply going to wish you good luck in resolving your problem and leave this thread; 19 posts in and I still don't know what adapter you actually have. It's hard to give someone useful assistance when they won't directly answer a single question or accurately convey information about their computer.

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
So then, you don't have the second adapter in the picture, which clearly has a plug for the wall. Which is important as I had just finished describing to you why power is needed for a dependable adapter.

I'm simply going to wish you good luck in resolving your problem and leave this thread; 19 posts in and I still don't know what adapter you actually have. It's hard to give someone useful assistance when they won't directly answer a single question or accurately convey information about their computer.

sheez man u hit me up with these questions that i try my hardest to awsner and barely know the awsners o well ill figure it out somehow thanks anyways for helping

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running a video cable like that though? It needs to have additional power, either via wall power point or usb to the computer to convert the signal. A simple HDMI to VGA cable won't work.

This sort of cable with additional power is called an active adapter. Passive is not powered and isn't what you want.

If your cable/adapter is active then i still stand by my original suspicion.

roastdbacon

Prominent
Jul 21, 2020
Are you running a video cable like that though? It needs to have additional power, either via wall power point or usb to the computer to convert the signal. A simple HDMI to VGA cable won't work.

This sort of cable with additional power is called an active adapter. Passive is not powered and isn't what you want.

If your cable/adapter is active then i still stand by my original suspicion.
my card is plugged into the computer and it gets enuf power i just need the adapter for my moniter