Graphics card died, need advice for new card.

stonefisher

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hello,
My MSI R9 380 4GB graphics card just died completely.

Now resorting to using an old workstation card in the meantime.

I cant afford to update my system majorly as that would mean a new cpu, motherboard and ram which i cant afford atm.

So which graphics card would you recommend for:
A. My current build.
B. Most cost effective if I do end up upgrading the rest of the computer this year or next year.

My current build is:
PSU: CORSAIR RM650x
CPU: Intel I7 920
Ram: CORSAIR 12GB PC3-16000
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)
HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Solution
You can't have it both ways. Most cost effective now means most balanced with what you have now. Wanting to buy something worth using in a new build is a completely different thing. It will not be cost effective now.

So before you spend any money, I recommend you think about it and decide whether you will be building a new computer or not within the next year. If the answer is yes, I'd get a 1060 or 580 now. Alternatively, if you could find something cheap on the used market, cheap enough to consider it disposable, I'd get that. Then when you build your new computer you also replace the disposable card.

Other options, if you're keeping this computer, are something like the HD 7950 or 7970. Your 380 was basically one of those with a...

mgallo848

Commendable

It's worth a shot, you never know.

In the meantime, if you end up having to buy a new card the Nvidia GTX 1050ti is very close in performance to the R9 380 and it will consume less power.

The GTX 1060 3GB is about 30% faster than what you had.

You could also look at the AMD RX 570 4GB or 580 4GB. These are also 20-30% faster than what you had. These cards consume less power than your old card but a little more than the GTX 1060.

stonefisher

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
No surprise MSI wont replace it for being less than two days out of warranty.

The GTX 1060 3gb is no use to me. I have some games that would bottleneck badly from not enough ram even on 1080p resolution games.

All the remaining cards are pretty expensive compared to that one though.

I wonder if the new GFX cards that have just come out will drive down the prices any time soon or maybe I should get a second hand one from ebay.

You can't have it both ways. Most cost effective now means most balanced with what you have now. Wanting to buy something worth using in a new build is a completely different thing. It will not be cost effective now.

So before you spend any money, I recommend you think about it and decide whether you will be building a new computer or not within the next year. If the answer is yes, I'd get a 1060 or 580 now. Alternatively, if you could find something cheap on the used market, cheap enough to consider it disposable, I'd get that. Then when you build your new computer you also replace the disposable card.

Other options, if you're keeping this computer, are something like the HD 7950 or 7970. Your 380 was basically one of those with a new name. So you could easily get back to the same performance level. If you're keeping this computer but want a new card, the 1050 Ti is the 380 equivalent.

Solution