[SOLVED] Graphics card dilemma, looking for advice.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
I understand that with what i am about to ask, there won't really be any answer to the situation, i am more looking for other peoples perspective on the situation to help me consider my options and come to some sort of conclusion. My little brother is getting a new pc in a week, my parents wouldn't be able to afford it if I didn't volunteer to let him have and keep my current rx 580. I am giving this card to him regardless of the issues it may cause me, so now i have to consider how do I go about trying to resolve my issues? I wanted to buy an rtx 3070, but with stock i am fairly confident that this will not happen, i know many people are in this boat, yet unlike a lot of people, my issue is i have no option but to give my brother my graphics card in a week otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford a new pc. This means when i don't get an rtx 3070, because lets be real the chances of getting one is like 0.1%, not only will i not have the 3070, but in actuality i will have no graphics card. It would be such a shame to have to buy a 20 series card of equivalent price, that being the 2070 super considering the big performance difference for the same price. And i cant wait as i need a graphics card asap for many reasons, such as video editing, remote learning for my uni, and streaming etc. I know there is very limited options, so really i am posting this as personally i am struggling to figure this out myself and would just love some input from the community.

Solution
I honestly do really see the potential in this idea, and it is a strong consideration and in all honesty could be a likely outcome all things considered. The only issue is the plan was always to upgrade my gpu, and originally my current rx 580 was a backup for if that fell through, I'm already barely scraping the money for a 3070 together, as in i would just have enough, so buying a rx 580 and reselling later seems like a risky proposition when money is already fairly tight, and the gpu is needed for productive purposes , the resolution of the raw video I'm editing for media and content purposes, and the resolution of my monitor for gaming, the rx 580 is really showing its age and struggling. I'm worried that the unpredictable wait...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
How about this option: buy 2nd RX 580 for your brother, while keeping the 1st RX 580 for yourself?

RX 580 starts at $200,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&sort=price&page=1

Or you could always buy a cheaper GPU for him, e.g GTX 1650 Super, starting at $160,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=476&sort=price

This way, you both would have equal GPUs and you'd have more time to collect for your GPU upgrade, while waiting out the RTX 3070 short supply due to it's launch.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
How about this option: buy 2nd RX 580 for your brother, while keeping the 1st RX 580 for yourself?

RX 580 starts at $200,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=391&sort=price&page=1

Or you could always buy a cheaper GPU for him, e.g GTX 1650 Super, starting at $160,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=476&sort=price

This way, you both would have equal GPUs and you'd have more time to collect for your GPU upgrade, while waiting out the RTX 3070 short supply due to it's launch.
I honestly do really see the potential in this idea, and it is a strong consideration and in all honesty could be a likely outcome all things considered. The only issue is the plan was always to upgrade my gpu, and originally my current rx 580 was a backup for if that fell through, I'm already barely scraping the money for a 3070 together, as in i would just have enough, so buying a rx 580 and reselling later seems like a risky proposition when money is already fairly tight, and the gpu is needed for productive purposes , the resolution of the raw video I'm editing for media and content purposes, and the resolution of my monitor for gaming, the rx 580 is really showing its age and struggling. I'm worried that the unpredictable wait is going to cause an issue as recently i have taken on more commitments that require more gpu horsepower that tensor and cuda cores could really accelerate over a lower end AMD card.

I honestly do really see the potential in this idea, and it is a strong consideration and in all honesty could be a likely outcome all things considered. The only issue is the plan was always to upgrade my gpu, and originally my current rx 580 was a backup for if that fell through, I'm already barely scraping the money for a 3070 together, as in i would just have enough, so buying a rx 580 and reselling later seems like a risky proposition when money is already fairly tight, and the gpu is needed for productive purposes , the resolution of the raw video I'm editing for media and content purposes, and the resolution of my monitor for gaming, the rx 580 is really showing its age and struggling. I'm worried that the unpredictable wait is going to cause an issue as recently i have taken on more commitments that require more gpu horsepower that tensor and cuda cores could really accelerate over a lower end AMD card.

I'd say buy a RTX 2060. It's got the CUDA cores and tensor cores that will give you a boost over your old RX 580, and by buying it instead of a RTX 2070 Super, you're not 'wasteing' as much money on a last generation card. You can use the RTX 2060 for a while and get decent results, and then once you again have the money you need for a RTX 3070 farther down the line, inventory will have stabilized and the price might have even gone down due to AMD's (likely) highly competitive upcoming GPU releases driving the price down a bit.

Solution