Question Graphic's Card displays "No Signal"

Oct 19, 2019
Hello all,

I've got a ROG GTX 1060 GPU, however when i plug an HDMI /DVI cable in it doesn't pick up the monitor.
I've tried installing the driver for this GPU on another laptop hard drive with my laptop, then put that hard drive into my new gaming pc but no luck as the installation of the driver tries and detects the GPU on my laptop which isn't there.
I have got ROG ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard which doesn't have onboard Graphics to boot up into safe mode etc or generally to then install the driver.

The fans and LED's are working on the graphic's card as it's plugged in via a 8pin as required so i know i don't have any issues there with this graphic's card power.

Please help! Any suggestion / ideas more than welcome & would be really helpful!

Kind Regards
Jord

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Drivers aren't necessary prior Windows, bios/post should be visible with basic gpu functionality. Possibly, it's doa card.

Do you have another gpu to try?

How about your monitor, checked its on the right input channel? Older monitors can have an analog/ digital button, this has caught me out once.

Remove and re-seat the GPU. Reconnect all of the power cables; on both ends if you have a modular power supply. Make sure the monitor options are set to the display type you're using...either DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort.

You don't need a driver installed to put in a new GPU as Windows has a built in generic driver so you can install a GPU and then add the GPU specific drivers once the system is powered on.

Oct 19, 2019
Drivers aren't necessary prior Windows, bios/post should be visible with basic gpu functionality. Possibly, it's doa card.

Do you have another gpu to try?

How about your monitor, checked its on the right input channel? Older monitors can have an analog/ digital button, this has caught me out once.

Unfortunately not due to my old PC not using a graphics card, my acer monitors are on auto and i checked that by plugging my laptop in.

Oct 19, 2019
Remove and re-seat the GPU. Reconnect all of the power cables; on both ends if you have a modular power supply. Make sure the monitor options are set to the display type you're using...either DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort.

You don't need a driver installed to put in a new GPU as Windows has a built in generic driver so you can install a GPU and then add the GPU specific drivers once the system is powered on.

Tried this, tried putting my graphics card into each other PCIE slots on the motherboard but no further improvement for this solution.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately not due to my old PC not using a graphics card.

Did you just recently buy this system? Since the motherboard doesn't have igpu ports, i assume this system is relatively new to you or old parts were recently assembled? Im trying to understand the background of this system because if it never had a gpu for you to see it working, who knows what else is wrong. Could be faulty cpu, ram, mobo, psu or cables not properly connected. If psu is modular, check each cable end is connected.

List specs of this pc please.

Cpu
Motherboard we know
Ram
Gpu we know
Psu

Oct 19, 2019
Did you just recently buy this system? Since the motherboard doesn't have igpu ports, i assume this system is relatively new to you or old parts were recently assembled? Im trying to understand the background of this system because if it never had a gpu for you to see it working, who knows what else is wrong. Could be faulty cpu, ram, mobo, psu or cables not properly connected. If psu is modular, check each cable end is connected.

List specs of this pc please.

Cpu
Motherboard we know
Ram
Gpu we know
Psu

Built from scratch,
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard
ROG GTX 1060
600W Power Supply
i7 2600k
4 x 4GB of Kingston Hyperbeast RAM
500GB / 250GB HDD

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See steps here

Hard to say what the problem is. If another gpu can be tested, that would help you troubleshoot a lot.

Other possibilities,

Overly tight heatsink / pent cpu pins.
Heat sink fan not connected to cpu_fan
Cpu 12v not connected.
Troubleshoot ram. Try one stick in A2 slot - 2nd slot from cpu socket.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you saying you didn't have the cpu plug connected? Your motherboard has an 8pin eps/12v plug that powers the cpu. Without it, the cpu doesn't work.

It may be possible to connect 4 pin to it instead of 8 but having only 4 would limit overclocking. Id have to check your manual, I'll do that in a minute to see if do this, which side of the 8pin plug to insert 4pin. Think the left side but ill check. If your psu has an 8pin cpu plug then use all 8.

What make and model is that psu?

Edit, manual states all 8 must be connected to boot.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019
Plugging in an 8pin trips out the power, I plugged the other 4 pin power connector I wasnt using into this and seems to be fine now. However still displaying no signal on both monitors and it keeps cutting out then rebooting so I reckon the CPU is getting too hot as the heatsink I got is too small.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Hello all,

I've got a ROG GTX 1060 GPU, however when i plug an HDMI /DVI cable in it doesn't pick up the monitor.
I've tried installing the driver for this GPU on another laptop hard drive with my laptop, then put that hard drive into my new gaming pc but no luck as the installation of the driver tries and detects the GPU on my laptop which isn't there.
I have got ROG ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard which doesn't have onboard Graphics to boot up into safe mode etc or generally to then install the driver.

The fans and LED's are working on the graphic's card as it's plugged in via a 8pin as required so i know i don't have any issues there with this graphic's card power.

Please help! Any suggestion / ideas more than welcome & would be really helpful!

Kind Regards
Jord

The lastest GeForce driver was released at the beginning of the month. I remember my PC doing updates the day before my 1070 developed the same problem as your 1060.

I wonder......

Oct 19, 2019
Thing is, I cannot install those drivers onto my hard drive through another laptop as in the installation steps it looks for the GPU, I dont have onboard graphics on my motherboard...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Plugging in an 8pin trips out the power, I plugged the other 4 pin power connector I wasnt using into this and seems to be fine now. However still displaying no signal on both monitors and it keeps cutting out then rebooting so I reckon the CPU is getting too hot as the heatsink I got is too small.

8 pin is what's needed and shouldn't trip the power. Something is seriously wrong, be it faulty psu, motherboard, cpu or possibly bent cpu pins.

Oct 19, 2019
UPDATE

---

I replaced the PSU with a Corsair CX600. Now everything is being powered with the correct pins & amount of pins.

All turns on fine but both monitors still staying 'No signal'...

Plus i bought & Installed a new heatsink.