Graphics Card Doesn't Appear To Work After Multiple Windows Reinstalls

Aug 31, 2018
So I had a problem with my windows files getting corrupted, and eventually wound up reinstalling windows from a thumb drive. After I had done this, I went to update my GPU drivers from AMD's website (I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E560 with an i7 and an R7 M370 graphics card), and it froze during installation. I shut down my computer after half an hour of it being frozen, and upon boot up the computer had the same launching problems I had been having previously to the windows install. I reinstalled windows again, deleting the partitions to basically (from my limited knowledge) wipe the hard drive, and Windows has been working great. So I was trying to figure out why the driver update didn't work, and I went to download AMD's control panel to try and autodetect the card and what updates I needed. After getting a "no compatible hardware" error, alarm bells started ringing and so I looked at Diagnostics and Display Settings and my AMD Graphics Card isn't appearing, it just has the Intel Integrated Graphics Card. Now here's the kicker: I don't actually remember (and I'm having difficulty finding the actual order) which version of the E560 I ordered, but for two-ish years I've been running the AMD control panel on this computer and it's successfully installed driver updates. I guess my question is: Is my graphics card toast? Is there anything else I can do from a software perspective to try and figure that out or do I have to bring it into Best Buy or Micro Center or something?

TL;DR: Graphics Card doesn't appear and AMD can't detect any compatible hardware despite running previous to multiple windows reinstalls, does my GPU need to be replaced?

If it's a laptop your first move should be to restore it to factory condition. I'm sure you can acquire an image from Lenovo if you don't already have one. Then after the computer is restored, go to the Lenovo site and download any updates for your computer from there.

I would not suggest to anyone that they use generic drivers, or any other kind of hardware update, for their laptop. Most of that stuff is customized for that computer and it's best you get updates from the manufacturer.

Oct 2, 2018
Im having the same problem but its with a gtx 980ti. im going to be updating the bios tomorrow as its at version 1301 and the latest is 1603, i will let you know if that works. So it may help in your case