Question Graphics card driver problem - or not?

Jun 30, 2024
I'm beginning to think that my computer is following the horoscope. The problem described below has (in my layman's opinion) no regularity, no clear pattern. At first glance, however, it seems to have something to do with the graphics card driver.

In the winter of 2020, I once again put together a computer for gaming, with the following components:

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A (ATX, mATX, Mini ITX, E-ATX)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (AM4, AMD B550, ATX)
Storage: Crucial P2 (1000 GB, M.2 2280)
Power supply: Corsair RM750 *2019* (750 W)
Graphics card: KFA2 GeForce RTX 3060 Ti EX (8 GB)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (AM4, 3.70 GHz, 6 -Core)
Processor cooling: NZXT Kraken X53
Operating System: Windows 11 Home

Peripherals

Monitor
: BenQ XL2430T, 144hz, connected via DisplayPort
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990Pro
External sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX G6 (USB)
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Keyboard: Logitech G G413

To install the computer, the bios had to be flashed first, but after assembly it ran perfectly. What I noticed at the time (and this is perhaps irrelevant to the following problem) is that the screen indicated that it was not receiving a signal when starting up. I then had to briefly change the channel (e.g. to HDMI) and then back to DisplayPort, after which I had a picture again.

Well over a year ago, I can't remember exactly, my computer suddenly stopped starting or got stuck in a boot loop. I could still see the loading symbol at startup, then the screen went black and the computer restarted. The computer stopped working and I reinstalled Windows using a USB stick, again the computer got stuck in a boot loop during the installation. Windows could apparently still be installed because I was able to access the desktop in safe mode.

So it seemed that drivers were causing a problem. I uninstalled the graphics driver using DDU and restarted. Lo and behold, I was on the desktop. Windows installed the graphics card driver automatically and the screen went black. So I removed the driver in safe mode and installed an older version and the PC worked again.

The computer worked with an older graphics card driver for a while, but suddenly, when starting the computer, the whole computer started to stutter. The computer was already stuttering when the login screen appeared, even the startup sound stuttered. The mouse was also jerky on the desktop and the CPU load was constantly over 50%. A restart didn't help either, and then I started:

- install other graphics card drivers
- to upgrade and downgrade the BIOS
- update all other drivers (e.g. chipset)
- clear CMOS
- Clean computer
- Tested RAM (no errors) and dual and single-channel
- With and without XMP
- Change energy saving plan
- Flashing the BIOS of the graphics card
- When the pc was working: benchmarkin CPU, RAM, GPU --> temps are normal, no crashes.

Now comes the very strange behavior of my computer: sometimes it worked as normal again, usually after installing an older graphics card driver. Sometimes after a day, sometimes after a week, the computer stuttered again.

What always worked: safe mode

Yesterday, after trying the above fixes again because the PC was stuttering , I couldn't get it to work. The stuttering on the desktop did not stop and could not be fixed. I wrote off the PC and shut it down. And today: suddenly it's working again... It's really exasperating.

Last edited: