Question Graphics card failing, rebooting system on HP Omen

Jan 7, 2021
For the past week, I've had a problem when watching videos on my computer (it's happened in VLC media player, MPV, and one time with Netflix on Chrome.) Every once in a while, it crashes (screen freezes, buzzing sound, then after a minute it reboots.) The few times it shows me the bluescreen, it's either been Thread Caught in Device Driver or Video TDR Failure (nviddmkm.sys.) I've tried every fix I could find online (including updating my BIOS, updating video drivers, reinstalling windows, letting the HP support guy control my computer) but none of it has fixed the issue. What's wrong with my computer, and how do I fix it?

My specs:
HP OMEN 15-en0023dx
NVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By reinstalling the OS, did you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop, and you have the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, downloaded onto your system(drive), use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall your drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jan 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By reinstalling the OS, did you create your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?
I used the recovery options thing in settings, didn't use any external media.
If you're on the latest BIOS for your laptop, and you have the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, downloaded onto your system(drive), use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall your drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Just did that. I don't know if it's fixed (the problem comes and goes) but if it's not, I'll report back.

EDIT: Crashed again.

Last edited: