Graphics card fan not spinning

Apr 19, 2018
Can someone help me I recently bought a use gigabyte r9 380x graphics card which the seller say is fully functional. When I install it in my pc a notice that the card fan was not spinning nd was getting very hot I had it on for a wild and still the fan don't spin can someone help me please.

Solution
"hot" how? In software? Or to the touch?

Depending on the variant, the fan may not spin up until it reaches X'C.

If I were you, I'd download MSIAfterburner & implement a fan profile that kicks the fan up to 100% from a low temp (like 30'C) and ensure it ramps up.
If it does, you know it's functional.... and configure a custom profile based on temps.

If the fans do not ramp up, despite telling it to do so in MSIAB.....the fans may be damaged, or may simply be disconnected.

If the seller cleaned the card up, removing the cooler etc, they may have forgotten to re-attach the fans.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
"hot" how? In software? Or to the touch?

Depending on the variant, the fan may not spin up until it reaches X'C.

If I were you, I'd download MSIAfterburner & implement a fan profile that kicks the fan up to 100% from a low temp (like 30'C) and ensure it ramps up.
If it does, you know it's functional.... and configure a custom profile based on temps.

If the fans do not ramp up, despite telling it to do so in MSIAB.....the fans may be damaged, or may simply be disconnected.

If the seller cleaned the card up, removing the cooler etc, they may have forgotten to re-attach the fans.

Solution
Apr 19, 2018
When I first got the card it had a burning smell like some kind carbon can can't really tell where on the card the smell was coming from the stenge was on the fan and the heat sink I was thinking if it was the metal hose on the card that was causing this or the fan burnt or some thing