[SOLVED] Graphics card fan spins when PC is turned on, the prompty turns off and no signal ?

Sep 8, 2021
This is the first system I have built, with secondhand GPU and MOBO.
Specs:

-GPU: EVGA GTX 970
-CPU: i7-6700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG b250-G
-RAM: 16GB (8x2) Ramaxel DDR4
-Storage: 2TB Hard Drive
-PSU: Corsair CV450
-Display: 144hz OC 24g2
-Case: Rotanium TG307- with 4x6w RGB fans.

I build the PC a few days ago and intially everything seemed to be going great, The Bios came up, and it started right up from my Hard drive (which I used from my old PC)
I installed new graphics drivers and browsed the web etc and everything worked. I played some GTA5 for like 3minutes (I was amazed by the smoothness of the game, I've always used a gtx 750) before the screen turned a solid orange colour and froze for a few minutes before going back to normal. This kept happening more frequently jsut while watching videos but just for a few seconds. It turns a random colour, but the PC still works (I could pause and unpause the video). The monitor also kept showing no signal after a few minutes of not using the PC and would only reconnect after I turned the PC off and on again.

This morning the minitor didn't detect anything from the GPU even after restarting so I tried to diagnose the problem by using different cables and monitors. I even put my old gtx 750 in and the monitor didn't detect that either.

Now, when I turn on the PC with the original setup that worked for a day or 2, The GPU [fan] only spins for 10 seconds while the computer starts and then stops. There is no signal from the GPU or the MOBO hdmi.

The top of the GPU is also very hot to the touch, but the fans don't spin.
Also worth noting: when I turn the PC of the Fans on the GPU jump for a second before stopping again.
The lights are on on the MOBO and everything else that has a fan is spinning as it should.

):

Solution
Any decent 550w will power a gtx970 and overclocked i7 all day long, no worries.

OSoD errors are a critical system error normally associated with graphics drivers. When you took the storage from the old pc, did you reinstall windows fresh? Or just swap it in and reset the gpu drivers. That's a leading cause of many problems with hardware and can/does cause other issues like blue/black screens.

The gpu has a fanless mode by default that won't kick in the fans after boot until it reaches @ 60-65°C. Using Afterburner will temporarily overwrite that instruction. In reality, since you have an Evga card, I'd use Precision-X, by Evga. Some cards have a physical switch for fanless/standard and some operate by software control.
Sep 8, 2021
that is a very low tier model power supply. not intended for gaming or any type of higher performance system.
i wouldn't be surprised if this has just been too much for it and now it is failing to provide adequate power delivery.
i would definitely replace it with something trustworthy.
The thing is that the 750 wouldn't give a signal on the same system either, even though it has tiny power draw.

Sep 8, 2021
GPU is 970, PSU is TX550.
GPU works fine when browsing or doing anything that isnt too demanding, but blackscreens in games, probably because the fans dont spin.
GPU-z says that the GPU is drawing power and has all of the information, but the fan speed never goes above 0%.

Do i need a better PSU?

Sep 8, 2021
if the gpu not working with different psu, might be the issue is the gpu
Yeah it's weird but I just installed MSI afterburner and the fan started running again?? but then once I close afterburner the fan stops spinning? is the built-in fan control too passive? can i make msi afterburner run all the time?

Sep 8, 2021
yes, there are included options to start with Windows.
. I thought the reason the gpu was turning off when in games was because it was overheating, but by looking at the logs of gpu-z i can see that the GPU doesnt go above 70 degrees and the GPU turns off once the power draw reaches around 140w. I guess the 550w isn't enough. I'll borrow a friends 650w psu and see if that solves the problem

you can experiment with lowering power limit in Afterburner.
if your card is drawing too much power for this PSU then that could solve the crashing issue.

but a decent 550w should be fine for a single GTX 970.
which version 970 is it and what does the manufacturer recommend for minimum power supply?

Sep 8, 2021
you can experiment with lowering power limit in Afterburner.
if your card is drawing too much power for this PSU then that could solve the crashing issue.

but a decent 550w should be fine for a single GTX 970.
which version 970 is it and what does the manufacturer recommend for minimum power supply?

"EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0" and the reccommended PSU is 500w, and mine is 550w.
I'll try your suggestion and lower the power limit, and when I get the 650w psu I can raise it back up.
thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any decent 550w will power a gtx970 and overclocked i7 all day long, no worries.

OSoD errors are a critical system error normally associated with graphics drivers. When you took the storage from the old pc, did you reinstall windows fresh? Or just swap it in and reset the gpu drivers. That's a leading cause of many problems with hardware and can/does cause other issues like blue/black screens.

The gpu has a fanless mode by default that won't kick in the fans after boot until it reaches @ 60-65°C. Using Afterburner will temporarily overwrite that instruction. In reality, since you have an Evga card, I'd use Precision-X, by Evga. Some cards have a physical switch for fanless/standard and some operate by software control.

Reactions: RodroX and qwbenji
Solution
Sep 8, 2021

Yeah, I got an old 2tb disk drive that I got from the Old dell office tower i used to use for gaming. Since I made my new system...
-GPU: EVGA GTX 970
-CPU: i7-6700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG b250-G
-RAM: 16GB (8x2) Ramaxel DDR4 2300
-Storage: 2TB Hard Drive
-PSU: Corsair TX550
-Display: 144hz OC 24g2
-Case: Rotanium TG307- with 4x6w RGB fans.

.. I've been experiencing weird things. Initially i used a 450w cv450 which obviously didnt cut it and the GPU didnt turn on, now I'm using a friends GPU (the TX550M) I could borrow another 650w PSU, but 550 should be enough according to most people.
Is a TX550M not a good enough PSU? the Display seems to shut off when I reach 160W, hence the underclocking I'm trying right now.

I'm a bit intimitated by reinstalling windows completely and wiping the hard drive. I've never done any of that business before, but if it works I'll try it!
or maybe I'll wait to try the 650 out and if the problem persists I'll look at starting fresh.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The TX is plenty. It's a really decent psu. I used a Evga G2 550w on a heavily overclocked i7-3770K and heavily overclocked Asus Strix Gtx 970 for years, still have them sitting in the case atm.

When you installed the gpu you bumped up driver usage. The prior gpu was so underpowered that you ran with minimal settings, which precludes the need to use many of the after-affects and extras. So those drivers don't see usage. Now that you have a more worthy gpu, your settings are raised and you are using stuff like anti-aliasing, lighting affects, maybe even a DSR, so you are now using many more drivers at different times. Which can and do end up in conflicts with other software, drivers, registry locations and paths from the old pc setup.

Starting fresh is always the wisest course of action when changing platforms.

Sep 8, 2021
The TX is plenty. It's a really decent psu. I used a Evga G2 550w on a heavily overclocked i7-3770K and heavily overclocked Asus Strix Gtx 970 for years, still have them sitting in the case atm.

When you installed the gpu you bumped up driver usage. The prior gpu was so underpowered that you ran with minimal settings, which precludes the need to use many of the after-affects and extras. So those drivers don't see usage. Now that you have a more worthy gpu, your settings are raised and you are using stuff like anti-aliasing, lighting affects, maybe even a DSR, so you are now using many more drivers at different times. Which can and do end up in conflicts with other software, drivers, registry locations and paths from the old pc setup.

Starting fresh is always the wisest course of action when changing platforms.
After a couple of windows updates, Everything seems to be working fine; I can run the card at 110% power draw on Afterburner and temps are reasonable at high GPU demand 60degrees at max draw (I opened up a game and putting up all settings up to max and infinite FPS CAP, as a stress test)

IS there anyway for me to increase stability without completely reinstalling windows? not sure im ready to bite the bullet just yet...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Hardware can be stabilized by adjusting variables like voltages and frequency etc. It's at heart a machine after all. But when it comes to software, that's nothing but a bunch of instructions for the machine. If those instructions are clear and concise, all is good and stable. It's when you start mixing in oddball instructions, leftover deadends, variables with no meaning, orphans or even conflicting instructions, well thats when it hits the fan. If one person says go left at the fork, and another says go right, which way do you go. Nowhere. And that's a bluescreen.

You have certain chipsets from 3rd parties, like Renesas, Marvell, Qualcomm, Samsung, Intel, Amd, Atheros and Broadcom etc and motherboards only have a few. If your old board had Marvell controllers and the new board has Intel, your registry will contain both, linked both, both trying to control your Sata chipset. It doesn't end well. All those drivers, their .inf files, registry links etc are all contained in windows. Wiping those out and clean reinstall of windows erases all those conflicting files etc.

Sep 8, 2021
No. Hardware can be stabilized by adjusting variables like voltages and frequency etc. It's at heart a machine after all. But when it comes to software, that's nothing but a bunch of instructions for the machine. If those instructions are clear and concise, all is good and stable. It's when you start mixing in oddball instructions, leftover deadends, variables with no meaning, orphans or even conflicting instructions, well thats when it hits the fan. If one person says go left at the fork, and another says go right, which way do you go. Nowhere. And that's a bluescreen.

You have certain chipsets from 3rd parties, like Renesas, Marvell, Qualcomm, Samsung, Intel, Amd, Atheros and Broadcom etc and motherboards only have a few. If your old board had Marvell controllers and the new board has Intel, your registry will contain both, linked both, both trying to control your Sata chipset. It doesn't end well. All those drivers, their .inf files, registry links etc are all contained in windows. Wiping those out and clean reinstall of windows erases all those conflicting files etc.
I don't know if you'll see this, but I used an ROG 650w PSU, wiped the hdd and reinstalled windows and all drivers.
the PC and GPU were working great, as they should for maybe 3 days, until the monitor started showing "no signal randomly again", sometimes during games, sometimes 5 minutes after starting the computer. Everytime I just turned the PC off and on again and it worked for the next few hours, minutes or days.

Just before It did the monitor disconnect thing again, but this time it doesnt show the UEFI screen when I turn it back on. (usually after the error it boots up normally straight away)
I now have literally the exact same error that i had before, (the GPU isnt spinning, and no signal from it), just with a fresh intall of windows and a high quality PSU.

Maybe its worth noting that there were 3 drivers I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to update. there was a chipset one, called 200 series chipset something and 2 ones called PCie express bride #5 and #9 (or something like that)

I tried every method, but the PC said that the newest versions were installed. (i used driver easy, i know some people say that all driver installers are bloatware or whatever, but this one I just use the free version and use it to find the drivers i need to update)

I really dont know what to do :(

Nov 10, 2021
I don't know if you'll see this, but I used an ROG 650w PSU, wiped the hdd and reinstalled windows and all drivers.
the PC and GPU were working great, as they should for maybe 3 days, until the monitor started showing "no signal randomly again", sometimes during games, sometimes 5 minutes after starting the computer. Everytime I just turned the PC off and on again and it worked for the next few hours, minutes or days.

Just before It did the monitor disconnect thing again, but this time it doesnt show the UEFI screen when I turn it back on. (usually after the error it boots up normally straight away)
I now have literally the exact same error that i had before, (the GPU isnt spinning, and no signal from it), just with a fresh intall of windows and a high quality PSU.

Maybe its worth noting that there were 3 drivers I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to update. there was a chipset one, called 200 series chipset something and 2 ones called PCie express bride #5 and #9 (or something like that)

I tried every method, but the PC said that the newest versions were installed. (i used driver easy, i know some people say that all driver installers are bloatware or whatever, but this one I just use the free version and use it to find the drivers i need to update)

I really dont know what to do :(

Have you tried reinstalling Windows yet ? Personal Data you can back up before on USB/External Drive or even a second Internal Drive in the worst case even something as simple as a phone.

I doubt you have anything to loose

Sep 8, 2021
I downloaded both of these. the setupchipset seems simple enough to use, i just ran it and it said it installed and then i restarted. but if i run it again it doesnt say that it's already installed and does the exact same thing as the first time.

these drivers need updates and are apparently from 1968?:
Intel(R) 200 series Chipset family LPC controller (b250) - AC28
Intel(R) PCI express Root Port #5 - A294
Intel(R) PCI express Root Port #9 - A298
Intel(R) PMC - A2A1

I dont know how to use the
Intel® Management Engine Driver for Windows 8.1* and Windows® 10
will this update the drivers, or is this a completely differnet thing??????
what on earth is going on