[SOLVED] Graphics card fans start when I start the PC but stop after 1min and no display

Sep 26, 2020
So I built my PC about a month ago. Everything been working just fine. I get back from a long weekend away and got to play some games but the display won't show up. So I unplugged everything and replugged it back in etc. And I noticed when I restart the computer, the graphics fans stop spinning after a minute. So I opened up my case and tried to remove one of the RAM sticks and it still does the same thing. I've unplugged and plugged everything back in but nothing is working.

Please help it was working fine earlier.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core
GPU MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Super
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
PSU Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W
MOBO ASRock B450 Gaming K4
CASE Phanteks Eclipse p350

Solution
So I built my PC about a month ago. Everything been working just fine. I get back from a long weekend away and got to play some games but the display won't show up. So I unplugged everything and replugged it back in etc. And I noticed when I restart the computer, the graphics fans stop spinning after a minute. So I opened up my case and tried to remove one of the RAM sticks and it still does the same thing. I've unplugged and plugged everything back in but nothing is working.

CASE Phanteks...

CASE Phanteks Eclipse p350
Your parts list looks good until you get to the power supply. While its power rating is certainly enough for a build like yours, the quality of the Smart series is very poor and it's possible the problem lies there. It might be good enough for a home office pc with iGPU but not much else. It's a bad choice for a gaming system with a dedicated GPU. The only way to be certain is to swap it out with another PSU or have it tested.

If you want a PSU with RGB you have to start with a model that is already high quality to begin with. A cheap model with RGB added is just a problem waiting to happen.

Solution
Sep 26, 2020
Your parts list looks good until you get to the power supply. While its power rating is certainly enough for a build like yours, the quality of the Smart series is very poor and it's possible the problem lies there. It might be good enough for a home office pc with iGPU but not much else. It's a bad choice for a gaming system with a dedicated GPU. The only way to be certain is to swap it out with another PSU or have it tested.

If you want a PSU with RGB you have to start with a model that is already high quality to begin with. A cheap model with RGB added is just a problem waiting to happen.
So what PSU would you recommend? I'm pretty new to building my own PC so where would I get it tested before I go getting a new one?

So what PSU would you recommend? I'm pretty new to building my own PC so where would I get it tested before I go getting a new one?
A computer shop in your local area should be able to test it for a small fee, but since it's a poor quality unit I would just replace it. There's always the possibility the problem is something else, but even so, you still have a cheap PSU and moving forward with it just seems like a bad idea.

A recommendation for replacement depends on your location and budget. You will have to spend more for a better PSU.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
search here for a A grade or B grade PSU
Depends on what is available in your country.