[SOLVED] Graphics card fault.

Jan 12, 2020
So today I built a new pc and I was test running it. I had a graphics card from my previous build but it was dead for unknown reasons (the PSU of the same built died too). But I thought, hey why not try it out in the new build?

So I slot in my graphics card to the mobo and everything and I use HDMI to connect the graphics card to my monitor. Suprisingly, it worked and I was so confused. So I am about 5 minutes into this and download the drivers. The drivers work.

Then suddenly, the screen goes black. I look inside and see the graphics cards fans stopped working, it probably just died again... So I try unplugging the hdmi cable and replugging it. That should be fine right?

As I pull it out, a loud static/electric sound of crackling happens and I think it was between the HDMI cable and the HDMI socket of the graphics card. I have pulled the HDMI cable fully out but am very confused. I then bring the HDMI cable closer to the HDMI socket and at around 30 cm away (not even touching) I hear a very loud similar crackle, again between the HDMI stuff. This time, it forces the system to restart. I pull the HDMI further away and then bring it back closer again and then it crackles again and the pc shuts down.

Luckily, my pc was completely fine afterward and I replaced the graphics card with a working one. But how did the graphics card start working, then die, then cause an electric crackle as I took it out the HDMI and then the weirdest part was when ut crackled again when I brought the HDMI kind of close but no where not touching, causing a restart and then the pc to switch off???

Solution
It was a Geforce 750ti GPU along with a Corsair CX 750M PSU. My old computer kept hard freezing really badly and when I moved the power cable to the mobo (probably moving the whole mobo and causing a short), it caused loss of power. It was my first pc so maybe I didn't install the standoffs properly... And how do I know if it's grounded? I thought all UK plugs are grounded?

Yes UK plugs are grounded but this is a pretty much global forum so no way to know where you are from. And it may be the plug you are using is not grounded, wiring mistakes do happen.

You'd have to check the system to see how the motherboard is mounted, may also be static electricity. I get shocks all the time at work during winder when the heat is on in...
No way to know why the card worked, electronics that fail don't always fail 100%, there are times they work in some sense but fail under load or once they heat up a bit. The electric issues are not good through, what is the brand and model of power supply do you have? Is the motherboard installed using the standoffs properly? Is the power in your house grounded? A lot of people that post here don't have grounding going to their houses.

Jan 12, 2020
No way to know why the card worked, electronics that fail don't always fail 100%, there are times they work in some sense but fail under load or once they heat up a bit. The electric issues are not good through, what is the brand and model of power supply do you have? Is the motherboard installed using the standoffs properly? Is the power in your house grounded? A lot of people that post here don't have grounding going to their houses.
It was a Geforce 750ti GPU along with a Corsair CX 750M PSU. My old computer kept hard freezing really badly and when I moved the power cable to the mobo (probably moving the whole mobo and causing a short), it caused loss of power. It was my first pc so maybe I didn't install the standoffs properly... And how do I know if it's grounded? I thought all UK plugs are grounded?

Yes UK plugs are grounded but this is a pretty much global forum so no way to know where you are from. And it may be the plug you are using is not grounded, wiring mistakes do happen.

You'd have to check the system to see how the motherboard is mounted, may also be static electricity. I get shocks all the time at work during winder when the heat is on in the office.

Solution