Graphics card faulty or is it my PSU?

Snake9419

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Hi guys, new here.

So last september I thought I'd upgrade my graphics card to a evga gtx 660 superclocked worked fine for a few weeks then the problems started to show, black screen crashing ect and shutting down my computer, thinking it was my motherboard as it was very old I went and upgraded my whole computer (apart from my PSU).

The problems were still there so I put my old gtx 285 in and it played games absolutely fine granted they had to be on lower setting I tried both cards on the same games with the same settings too so I was pretty sure it was the graphics card so next decision was to ring EVGA and they said to RMA it, so I did, now tonight I put the graphics card in, installed drivers played res6 for an hour and suddenly the screen went black then blue to say "no signal" and now differently to the last card the fan speeds up and is extremely noisy and then my computer shuts down.

Starting to suspect my PSU now, Event viewer is giving me the same critical error that the other card did, "Kernel power 41" So now I'm almost positive it's my PSU but I just wanted to check with you guys before I go ahead and waste anymore time and money.

The gtx 285 requires 2 six pin connectors while the gtx 660 sc only needs 1.

Specs:
Crucial Mark 4 120gb ssd
600gb hd
Evo Labs modular 650w psu(2 years old now)
8gig corsair vengeance ram
Gtx 660 superclocked
Asrock extreme 6 motherboard
I5 3570k
27" Asus monitor

Cheers

well, the gtx285 requires more power than the gtx660 and the 285 works. so im thinking it's not the pus. however, the 660 may be more sensitive to stable power, and if the psu isnt delivering stable power, then that can cause a problem. I have never heard of your brand of psu so its a good chance its the problem. cant find a website for them or any reviews, alarm bells start ringing when that happens.

Snake9419

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I'll pop the gpu into another computer and see if it has any issues, will let you know what happens

Snake9419

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Alright turns out to be the psu after all, put the gpu in my bros computer and works fine plays games with no problems so don't buy an evo labs psu they dont even last longer than 1.5 years ax760 corsair platinum psu on its way