Graphics card fired by water damage - are my connectors also defective ?

Jun 18, 2018
Hello everyone,

TL;DR: How could I know if my power supply connectors are safe after water damage?

The whole story:

In a freak drinking accident, a couple drops of beer made their way into my case. Unfortunately, they landed right where my graphics card connects to my power supply. My graphics card fried instantly. I unplugged everything and let it dry for around 10 hours. I looked inside, and as i booted it up again, my gaphics card litteraly smokes and the motherboard safety features power it down instantly.
With the GC unplugged, my computer turns on perfectly fine and i can acess my files. I just bought a new graphics card online, and I'm worried my connectors might be defective as well. I don't want it to fry on the first boot.
I don't have any other GC lying around for testing, so is there a way i could know whether it's safe to plug it in or not ?
Thanks!

DSzymborski

Titan
No, don't try and replace a cable. Even if the PSU were modular, PSU cables are only standardized on the side that connects to the component. And GPUs don't come with actual PSU cables either, so I'm confused at the above replies you were getting.

What is your exact PSU? If it only had two six-pin connectors, I'm not sure it was enough quality to want to connect to a GTX 1060 anyway.

Jun 18, 2018

Thanks, I suppose I'll have to try anyway. How can I clean those? Seems awfully small. Compressed air?
Turns out I might get my hands on an old GC that doesn't work well, but it should be enough to test the connectors.

budgetgamer12345

Respectable
Sep 8, 2017

Compressed air sounds good. Also a clean small cloth is good.