Graphics card fits in one PCI x16 slot but not the other

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
So, I reinstalled my parts a few weeks ago into my new case. I had an antec 300, now I have a Fractal Design Define XL R2. I have an MSI 970a-g46 motherboard and an HIS IceQ X HD 7850. For some reason, when I tried to install the graphics card into the first slot, the first set of pins would not go all the way in (the second, longer set did, but not the first)! So, I put it in the second slot and it is working fine now. However, this does limit me if I want to upgrade to a longer graphics card because right now my top hard drive cage is taken out SO I can have better airflow and upgrade to a longer graphics card in the future. Any ideas of why this happened? Thanks.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
I've had an issue on some cheap cases with the bottom of the PCI bracket of the GPU hitting something and not allowing the front blade to settle into place. It seems unlikely but that's pretty much all I can think of. I'd say check with a light to make sure nothing is colliding down there and nothing is in the socket.

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

Sorry, I meant the first PCI x16 lane. There are 2 on my motherboard. In my old case, I had my gpu running in that slot and when I transferred it to my new case it wouldn't go in.

Xexoxix

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
I have heard issues with my case about people receiving the wrong standoffs, but what's weird is that it fits into the second one. If the standoffs were the wrong ones, they wouldn't fit into any of them.