Question Graphics card for aging computer

Nov 14, 2021
I have a relatively old computer with an ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 motherboard, AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a couple of SSDs and HDDs. It’s still chugging along just fine, but I have recently started editing videos on a more frequent basis than before (nothing special, just 1080p/24...30fps), and the encoding takes a bit longer than I’d like. TaskManager says the bottleneck is, unsurprisingly, processing capacity.

The APU has an integrated graphics processor, which is CrossFire compatible. Question is, if I were to buy a dedicated graphics card, would I be better off getting one that can work with the integrated GPU in a CrossFire setup, or should I simply purchase one that works as a standalone card?

Which card would you recommend?
(Needless to say, it has to be compatible with the m/b, which is of course an old one.)

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have a relatively old computer with an ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4 motherboard, AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a couple of SSDs and HDDs. It’s still chugging along just fine, but I have recently started editing videos on a more frequent basis than before (nothing special, just 1080p/24...30fps), and the encoding takes a bit longer than I’d like. TaskManager says the bottleneck is, unsurprisingly, processing capacity.

The APU has an integrated graphics processor, which is CrossFire compatible. Question is, if I were to buy a dedicated graphics card, would I be better off getting one that can work with the integrated GPU in a CrossFire setup, or should I simply purchase one that works as a standalone card?

Which card would you recommend?
(Needless to say, it has to be compatible with the m/b, which is of course an old one.)
Unless your editing program can use the GPU to speed up the process it's not going to help.

You just have a old slow processor.