Graphics Card for FX 8350 (under $200 + linux compatibility)

LoneFly

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
I'm a total noob when it comes to selecting graphics cards, so please bear with me on this one.

Setup:
FX 8350 @ stock speed
16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Asus 970 Gaming Aura Mobo
750W PSU
Monitor: 1920x1080

Purpose:
Virtual machines(GPU passthrough), occasionally heavy photo/video editing, gaming in general (60fps+1080p settings)

As far as the above specs allow, what is the best graphics card for that purpose that is also under $200? Linux compatibily is a bonus (especially in BSD). Overclockability is also nice but not much of a concern.

I am looking at the RX400 and 500 series but I'm not sure if those are the right cards.

Should I wait for VEGA? Or VEGA will be bottlenecked by the FX CPU? Will multiple cheap graphics card would perform better than a single higher end card in this scenario? (SLI/Crossfire)

I prefer to purchase from Amazon or NewEgg, based in USA.

Thanks.

Solution

that is not an upgrade

if you overclock the cpu then you will use the rx 470 better in cpu bound titles

it is not worth tossing in any more money, that is a dead pltform

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your cpu limits you severely

anything higher than a rx 470 is wasted money

cf/sli is really not recommended either, because again the cpu is lacking and you seem to be running it at stock speeds

really seriously need to overclock it

LoneFly

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017

Ok, I'll overclock it. (BTW, would upgrading to the 8370 then overclocking that be worth it?) What options do I have then with the overclocked CPU? Thanks.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

that is not an upgrade

if you overclock the cpu then you will use the rx 470 better in cpu bound titles

it is not worth tossing in any more money, that is a dead pltform

Solution

LoneFly

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017

Alright. Thanks for the help. :)

Although I still would like to do what I can with the FX.